Skip to main content

Pass the cheese

As my friend Sheena would say, I need a little cheese to go with my whine. I’m in the mood for a good whine. Ever want to cut your nose off from the rest of your face? How is it possible that gallons of snot can come from a single person’s head? Is it possible there’s an invisible structure squeezing my head? And how on earth did I manage to swallow all this glass?

That’s how I feel. Tylenol does improve things, and the sinuses do dry up for a few hours at a time – although my nose now looks like a Rudolf imitation and it occasionally bleeds from the chapping. Just what I need, the occasional drips of blood to further distract my day. My joints ache, for which the Tylenol doesn’t help. I have to pee constantly and yet can’t seem to drink enough. But these pesky magazine deadlines are nipping at my heels.

I’m tired, so tired. I’m so tired I slept through my alarm this morning and then fell asleep standing at the telephone poll waiting on the bus. Honest. I fell asleep standing up, my purse dropped to the ground where anyone could have run off with it. The bus driver had to honk to wake me up.

I arrived at work to discover one of our features has fallen through, completely, just two days before press. Do you know how hard I’ve worked to try to have everything done on time, even though I’ve had extra work to do, so that I could get it finished and leave for conference with everything under control? This feature had nothing to do with me, isn’t my responsibility but now I have the added stress of trying to pull together a replacement story in TWO DAYS. Not so bad if I were doing a newspaper type story – but this is different. Oh yeah, and that’s on top of the freelance story I took on to help pay for conference because I’m so bloody underpaid. I’m not happy.

But apparently this single girl has nothing better to do in the evenings than pull a story out of thin air. I don’t have kids you know – just a conference coming up in a week that I’m not ready for. I haven’t even written my presentation yet!

But as much as I have to whine about, it’s so minor compared with what’s going on in the lives of other HPS’ers. It some ways that makes it even more annoying. If I’m going to be slowed up by illness, it should be a whopper – some major pneumonia or colitis or low hemoglobin – something worthy of all this trouble. Who has time for a run-of-the-mill, everyday, completely normal cold?

Comments

Susan said…
Hope you are feeling better, Heather. I can relate to your fatigue issues. It is so hard when you have a lot to get done.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h