Skip to main content

Looking for something to do this weekend? If you're near Springfield, Mass.....



Contact: Sara McGillicuddy, (413) 783-5448 or by email
smcgill3@comcast.net.
Donna Appell, President, HPS Network, (516) 922-3440.
Date: April 10, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Falcons show heart by promoting awareness of rare genetic syndrome
Springfield, Mass – The Falcons are teaming up with the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network to help promote awareness about a rare genetic syndrome affecting several local families. Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome is a rare type of albinism that causes a visual impairment and bleeding disorder that can vary from mild to life threatening. Some genetic mutations also involve other health issues such as digestive problems and pulmonary fibrosis or a scarring of the lungs.

While many people with HPS don’t live beyond their 40s, there are a number of exciting treatments currently in clinical trials at the National Institutes of Health. But because the syndrome is so rare, many are unaware they are affected and thus cannot take advantage of these research developments. “It’s our hope that this event will help generate awareness of HPS in the greater Massachusetts area so that affected families can get the help they need early,” said Donna Appell, President of the HPS Network.

The event is being organized by Chad and Sara McGillicuddy, whose seven-year-old daughter is affected by the syndrome. “We need to raise money and build awareness of this syndrome so that one day our daughter, and others with HPS, will have better treatments and one day a cure,” said Sara McGillicuddy.

In response the Falcons are hosting HPS Awareness Night at the March 15th game against the Worcester Sharks. The adult league team Haluch Landscaping and the BayState Boilers will play a game before the Falcons/Sharks game in tribute to those with HPS.

A second HPS Awareness Night will be held April 12th. Before the Falcons game, the Barnes Air Force Base and the Westover Air Force Base hockey teams will face off in honor of HPS in the Battle of the Bases! Twenty percent of ticket sales will be donated to the HPS Network. Pre game tickets must be purchased for the April 12th game by April 6th. Tickets cost $10 and can be obtained by contacting Sara McGillicuddy, (413) 783-5448 or by email smcgill3@comcast.net.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h