Skip to main content

Kudos to Oracle

It's easy to gripe at companies when they do something wrong. But, in my opinion, it's equally important to give them a pat on the back when they do something positive for the community. I posted some time ago about this science academy opportunity for blind and visually impaired third to sixth graders. Oracle has stepped up to the plate to help fund this endeavor. Bravo!


Grant Helps Fund First Youth in Science’s 2008 Junior Science Academy
REDWOOD SHORES, Calif., FEB-2008
Oracle and the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) Jernigan Institute’s National Center for Blind Youth in Science (NCBYS) today announced that they will work together to help open the door for young scientific explorers. As part of this collaboration, Oracle will help fund the NCBYS’s first Youth in Science’s 2008 Junior Science Academy (JSA) as a way to make science come to life for blind students across the United States.


"Oracle is proud to be a sponsor of this year’s science academy and we look forward to continuing to work closely with the NFB" said Peter Wallack, Accessibility Program Director, Oracle. "Oracle is committed to raising awareness of the importance of accessibility and we are equally committed to advancing education, particularly in the areas of math and science. Our support of the JSA allows us to address both of these passions"

"The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute has been dedicated to improving educational opportunities for blind youth since its inception" said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "We imagine a future where the blind are encouraged and empowered to apply their diverse capabilities to the exploration of new horizons along with their sighted peers. Programs like the JSA help make this vision a reality. We thank Oracle for their partnership and support"

The 2008 Junior Science Academy will be open to children in grades 3-6 and is designed to expose blind children to the excitement and fun of science through real-life applications. Students will take part in hands-on instruction, field trips, and interactive activities as they learn about how different aspects of the environment work together to create the world around them. In addition, the JSA will have corresponding parent workshops to provide parents/guardians with the tools and knowledge that they need to help their child succeed. For more information on how to apply for the JSA, visit
http://www.blindscience.org.

Oracle’s Commitment to Accessibility
Oracle recognizes the need for its applications, and its customers’ and partners’ products built with Oracle tools, to be usable by the disabled community. The Oracle Accessibility Program Office, reporting to the office of the Chief Corporate Architect, is responsible for defining the corporate standards for accessibility, and developing materials to train all employees so that they can successfully create products that meet those standards.

"Oracle products are used across all industries, including a variety of sciences, such as Aerospace, Chemicals and Life Sciences" said Luke Kowalski, Oracle Corporate Architecture Group. "We recognize that the accessibility features built into our products can enable the employment of persons with a wide range of disabilities. Through sponsorship of programs like the JSA and by working closely with organizations like the NFB, Oracle is helping raise awareness of the importance of accessibility within our own company, and with our customers"
For more information on Oracle’s Accessibility programs visit:
http://www.oracle.com/accessibility.
Trademarks
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h