Skip to main content

An update on the Target lawsuit

Here's an update on the Target lawsuit I mentioned on this blog several months ago. It's such a shame Target just doesn't bite the bullet and make an effort to be accessable. I'm also including a story about Amazon.com - a company that (thankfully since I love them) took a different approach. Since I do have a fair amount of usable vision, often I can navigate sites that aren't completely "blind friendly." But, it's not really about whether I personally can navigate them. It's about the principal of the matter. Creating a retail outlet online that can't be accessed by blind shoppers is like creating a brink and mortar store and posting a sign on the door that says, "Blind shoppers not allowed." Let's all give Amazon some kudos for making the effort!

First, the Target update:
1/2/2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:John G. Paré, Jr.Executive Director for Strategic InitiativesNational Federation of the Blind(410) 659-9314, extension 2218(410) 913-3912(Cell)
Jpare@nfb.org
National Federation of the Blind Lawsuit Addressing Web Accessibility Will Proceed
Target Cannot Appeal Class Action Certification Ruling

Baltimore, Maryland (January 2, 2008): The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has denied Target Corporation’s petition for an interlocutory appeal of the District Court’s order granting class action certification to a lawsuit filed against the retailer by the National Federation of the Blind for Target’s failure and refusal to make its Web site fully accessible to blind shoppers. As a result, the suit will proceed against Target on behalf of all blind Americans, as well as for a subclass of all blind Californians.


Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: “We are pleased that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has allowed our lawsuit against Target to move forward on its merits. Target can no longer delay being held accountable to the blind of the nation for denying us access to its Web site.”

###

About the National Federation of the Blind
With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the United States. The NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.


And now, the Amazon update:
Amazon.com Accessibility to be Completed June 30, 2008
1/4/2008
The National Federation of the Blind and online retailer Amazon, Inc., have announced that work to make Amazon.com fully accessible to blind computer users is to be completed by June 30, 2008. In March of 2007, Amazon entered into a technology development agreement with the National Federation of the Blind pursuant to which Amazon was to attempt to make Amazon.com fully accessible by December 31, 2007. Because of the complexity of the task, it was recognized that this was an ambitious goal and that problems might be encountered; accordingly, the agreement provided that Amazon could have a six-month extension, if necessary, to complete work on making its Web site fully accessible to blind computer users. Amazon’s Web site has improved; nonetheless, Amazon recognizes that it is not yet fully accessible. Amazon has indicated that it will complete the task within the extended period.


Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: “Full and equal access to the Internet is critical in order for the blind to participate fully in today’s society. While Amazon.com is not yet fully accessible, we are pleased with the progress that has been made and we believe that the company remains committed to making the site fully accessible. We will continue to work with Amazon.com to ensure that the blind can shop for books, music, movies, and the myriad other products available at this leading online retailer with the same ease and convenience as all other shoppers.”

# # #

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h