Skip to main content

The new doctor hunt

I have been dreading the new doctor hunt the way you might dread being strung up by your fingernails – I just haven’t wanted to do it and so have been putting it off. But I can’t put it off. My insurance has changed and my beloved doctors are no longer on my plan. This means going on a new doctor hunt and starting all over with someone new.

I know it’s wise to start to establish a rapport with someone now, while I’m having few problems, so that when things act up we have an established working relationship. Hopefully, by then I will have built up some credibility so that they don’t think I’m a nut when things seem a bit weird.

But, like a spoiled child – I don’t wannaaaaa……

Yesterday I finally made an appointment. Since KUMed isn’t on my insurance plan, I decided the next best hospital for me was probably St. Luke's – they’ve got a good-sized hospital only five miles from my office and another larger hospital campus downtown.

After talking to Dr. Seward and Donna, I decided this time around I probably should go for an internal medicine doc as the “team captain” and my primary guy rather than family medicine. Don’t get me wrong, my experiences at family medicine at KU (with the exception of one very junior doc early on) were excellent. That’s why I don’t wan to leave.

I pulled up a list of all the internal medicine docs with privileges at St. Luke’s South. I looked at how long they’d practiced medicine and where they went to school. I really wish the site had given a tad more information about them (like the KU site does) such as what their specific interests are, whether they’ve got a research focus, where they’ve been published or even a little indicator of their personality like a hobby or something.

The scant information had me feeling a bit lost. I called the nurse help line, explained HPS and my “hunt” and the very helpful nurse gave me three names that she suggested. One was on my short list from my own search – so that’s who I chose to make an appointment with. We’ll see how it goes.

I think my blood pressure went up just making the appointment. Will this guy the sort of collaborative listener I like, or will he be the in and out type that you can’t pin down for five seconds?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h