Skip to main content

Sleepy day

One thing I’ve had a hard time with all week was energy. Sometimes I just get to feeling so tired. I’ll even put my head down on my desk at work and fall asleep, which isn’t a good thing because I snore! So, the thing I was looking forward to most this weekend was sleeping in late until my body decided to wake up.

That didn’t happen until 2:30 pm! Sometimes when I sleep these incredible amounts of time I really do think something must be wrong with me, but I’ve had my thyroid tested and I’ve had blood work, and everything is normal. So, I don’t know why I am so tired. Perhaps it was the gloomy day. Today the clouds were so dark that it felt as though the sun never came out.

Usually when the clouds are dark and heavy, they either let out a torrent of rain, or blow away. They don’t normally hang there all day with such a darkness that you have to have the lights on in the house. But that was the kind of day it was here today.

I normally love these kinds of days. I love to hear the wind in the trees and listen to the rain fall. Perhaps that was why I slept so well, lulled into complete relaxation by the sound of the cold wind outside, and warmth of the fuzzy blanket Aunt Ched gave me.

When I finally managed to roust myself out of bed, the amount of housework that needs to be done around here was overwhelming. I decided, however, to first make a trip to the grocery. I only needed a few things, but I didn’t want to put it off. There’s a chance of snow, and I really need to be better about taking my lunch to work to save money. I needed to do some cooking and freezing this weekend. But, the trip to the grocery, which hadn’t been tiring me out lately, seemed to sap the energy right back out of me and I’ve been snuggled up in that fuzzy blanket again.

As I walked to the store it felt almost as though I were walking on some sort of movie set – something staged. The clouds were so very dark, yet bellowing. The wind was blowing hard. Now all the leaves have fallen from the trees and the wind would sweep up the leaves and toss them around in swirls. It would sweep through the empty branches with an almost spooky sound. Everything looked so gray and desolate.

Strangely, I thought about what this place must have been like before the GI bill houses and the gas stations and the local banks and grocery stores were here. What must that wind have sounded like then whipping through the prairie grasses? There probably weren’t as many trees back then to create an obstacle, and the starkness of the sky must have looked sharp against a yellow and brown landscape.

Well, I’ve given up on house keeping for the day. It’s a lost cause, and it’s too late to put laundry in as I have to share a laundry room with the rest of the building, and it closes at 10:00 pm. So, I think I’ll go work on some of my crafts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect