Skip to main content

Sicko

During the Thanksgiving holidays Ryan and I rented the DVD Sicko, Michael Moore’s documentary about the state of the American health care system. I’d been wanting to see it for some time, if for no other reason than the movie made such a splash and got people talking about our health care woes.

You may remember that Michael Moore got in a bit of trouble for taking some of the patients he was profiling to Cuba for care. Americans aren’t supposed to travel to Cuba as part of the embargo – unless you’re a journalist. And that’s where things got sticky for Michael. He was supposed to check with the State Department first, which always struck me as a bit of a freedom of the press killer.

All that aside, my feelings about the film, just like my feelings about American health care, are mixed. You can love Michael Moore. You can hate him. The guy did make a point that needed to be made. For millions of us, having the misfortune to get sick has ruined our finances and stolen our dreams. There really are people out there who honestly cannot get the care they need. They honestly are falling through the cracks. And they’re not all homeless street people either (not that if they were everything would then be okay.) It’s one of those things people don’t always get until it happens to them. And it can happen – to anyone.

Recently a co-worker of mine has had a spat of health troubles. She’s been in the hospital several times over the past few months. The other day she asked me very quietly if I knew of some sort of relief fund for people with chronic illness and mounting medical bills. Obviously I couldn’t help her.

I was riding the wave of the film, cheering it on and nodding my head, until the Cuba segment. That was just a little bit too much of a stunt that wasn’t required to make the point. It went “out there” just enough to give people an excuse to not take the film seriously. I support Michael’s right to go to Cuba – I just don’t think he needed to. But, to me, the whole Cuba thing isn’t worth more than a mention.

The real issue is how are we going to fix this health care problem? And that’s where I run into trouble. I’m the kind of girl that wants to find a plan I think will work, and go out and advocate for it. But, to be honest, this is such a huge mess I can’t get my head around how to fix it. I feel a little sorry for the politicians trying.

I just know there’s something incredibly wrong with a country where some people can develop an actual addiction to cosmetic surgery, while others can’t even get medications that could significantly improve their quality of life.

What it’s going to ultimately come down to is what are we willing to trade? We won’t be able to do it all. Will we be satisfied with longer wait times or hospitals with a fewer comforts of home? How can we create a better system without creating a worse bureaucracy? Personally, I haven’t figured it out yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect