Skip to main content

Merry late Christmas

I’m in blogging withdraw! My computer that has been dying a slow and painful death for some time has finally breathed its last. I’ve been computer shopping, which for me is like trying to buy a car.

In the meantime, the wireless connection I can occasionally get at home has been very weak. I no sooner get online and it dies out. Thus, I haven’t been blogging.

So, a very merry yet late Christmas to everyone!

I went to the Christmas Eve candle light service at my church and it was so beautiful. They turn off the lights at the end and just have the spotlight on the alter, the soloist and the Christmas tree. I wish they had left it that way throughout the service because it was so beautiful, even before the candles were lit.

I sat behind a family that seemed to have a number of young cousins visiting and they were all having a ball playing the pews, crawling under the pews, peeking over the pew at me. And I was horrible because I only encouraged them, they were so cute. I looked at their drawings and played picky boo with them. If only it weren’t incredibly inappropriate to take a picture of them during the service! It would make a neat painting with all the adults so serious and sitting up straight, and the kids just trying to survive through the service without getting in too much trouble.

I spent Christmas by myself. Before everyone has a fit, let me just say that to me, this was not a big deal. If anything, it was a blessing because I get so little time off.

I had an offer to go to Wichita, and then thought that perhaps my Dad and Ryan would fly in instead. They had mechanical problems, however, and were unable to fly dad’s plane. Everyone was so worried about me being alone – but I blissfully enjoyed some guilt-free sleeping, reading, listening to music etc. It was heavenly to me.

Hopefully the computer issue will be solved soon. I can’t tell you how I miss being online and being able to communicate with everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect