Skip to main content

Not my day

Today was not one of my better days. By 1:30 pm I’d been to the bathroom with the runs nine times since arriving at work. When I have days like this the health issues are bad enough, but the stress worrying about what will happen next is almost as bad. Most of the time my GI days are not this bad. But the past few days haven’t been great. My joints have been acting up. I didn’t take the Lomodil this morning because last night I was kind of stopped up – and what happens – but I spend my day in the bathroom. I felt tired. My concentration was horrible. My nystagmus gets worse when I’m really tired. I haven’t slept well in several nights.

I could feel my ostomy itching, which is usually the sure sign of a pending leak, so then I was feeling anxious about having this diarrhea running all over the place at work.

Finally my boss sent me an e-mail wanting to know what was up because I seemed really off my game. No kidding! I felt horrible. I get so worried about my job because of the implications for my health insurance. So, on days when I know I’m not doing a good job, I feel so anxious on top of everything – and that can’t be helping the diarrhea.

When I read the e-mail I just wanted to burst into tears. She was right, and it was fair – but I just felt so frustrated. I came to work to try to keep everything on schedule and instead I was just creating more problems. I can't win for losing.

Last night I had dinner with our editorial assistant that just quit. She just graduated from school and found a full-time job. From some of the conversation about other jobs she’d applied for, I got a pretty good educated guess what the going rate for someone just out of school is in this town. I knew I wasn’t being paid enough, but if that’s the going rate for someone with 10 years less experience, I’m being taken advantage of.

Yet, if I have a lot of days like today, it isn’t exactly the performance you want to take to your boss when demanding a raise. On the flip side, days like today make me very leery about applying elsewhere – at least she knew this was not my normal work product. If I was new, they’d be wondering what they hired.

I came home and slept for several hours, but it wasn’t a deep sleep. It was more of a tossing and turning sleep. And now, I just feel yucky.

As Sheena would say, does anyone have any cheese to go with my whine?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect