Skip to main content

Arrived at NIH

I'm here!

Although the morning at home was a bit bumpy, the trip went well. I should be dead tired, but I think the overall excitement of the day has me all stirred up.

I think I may have to start asking for help with the airlines, however, which has me a bit bummed. It isn't really a vision thing. It's more an issue that traveling with all this medical "crap" is getting more complicated.

TSA informed me today that the rules have changed for traveling with a CPAP machine. They don't just have to take it and test it now, but you have to remove it from the bag.

So, there I was in airport security trying to take off my shoes, take out my laptop, take out my camera and now take out my CPAP with all of its cords and hoses - even though there was no line it took me a half hour to get through security. I was exhausted by the end of all that. And, not being able to see well, I felt uncomfortable having my belongings, expensive belongings, strewn from here to there as they were inspected.

The film folks met me at the airport and filmed Hector, the cab driver, helping me get my bags etc.

Hector is a great guy.

One of the challenges to recruiting for our drug trial is that so many of the patients must come from Puerto Rico. Not everyone has great orientation and mobility skills. Many HPS'ers haven't traveled a lot. So, coming to a huge airport in Washington D.C. and trying to figure out how to get to the NIH when you can't see well and don't speak the language can be very scary.

Thus, the NIH contracted with Hector the cab driver. Hector is from Columbia and speaks Spanish. The NIH has worked it out with the airport to allow Hector special permission to meet patients at the gate. He helps you find your luggage, drives you to the front door of the hospital, and even walks you to admissions. It makes the travel experience much less stressful, and that makes patients more willing to participate.

I was very touched because as they interviewed me in the taxi, Hector chimed in with some of the difficulties he's observed among the HPS patients. Hector knows what's going on. I was also so touched because at one point he said something to the effect of, "I feel so honored to be able to help. I feel like I'm on the team to help cure HPS." And he's right. He's a key member of our team.

When you think of key players in a drug trial, you might think of our brilliant researchers, of the nurses that care for us - but you might not think of the cab driver. But for us, the relationship Hector is building with patients helps them to feel safe and comfortable about coming back. I was so glad they got that on camera - I hope it comes out okay.

So, now I'm safely in my room with Debbie, another HPS'er I've known for some time. Debbie is such a riot! This evening she was talking with her family back home and she says, "What, do you think my initials are G.O.D? Take care of it yourself....." I busted out laughing!

So, the usual disclaimer here about my NIH blogs - this is an e-terminal at our bedside - and it doesn't have all of my adaptive tech stuff on it. I might make a lot of spelling and typing boo boos because it's hard to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect