Skip to main content

Health update

With the long list of things I have to blog about, it seems rather stupid to be putting up a health update – but I need to do it to help me update my drug trial records.

Overall I have to say I’m doing better than I’ve done in quite a while. I don’t know which medication it is (although I suspect it’s the thyroid med.) but suddenly I don’t come home every night and want to go straight to bed. It’s great to have productive evenings again! And, it’s great to not be feeling so foggy in the head all the time.

I feel like I’m playing a little game with my bowels. If I do nothing, I’ve always got the runs. But, if I take the Lomotil, I seem to be able to control the runs to some extent. The week before my trip, however, seemed to be the exception though. Nothing seemed to work for a few days and I was having a lot of cramps. I don’t want to be taking the Lomotil all the time if I don’t always need it – so I’m playing this balancing act. I get the runs. I take a pill, and if that doesn’t work I take another, up to the four prescribed, to get things in check again. I start taking one a day when things get pretty bad pretty often until things really thicken up and I’ve got the opposite problem. Then I back off and the cycle starts all over again.

When I was traveling to the family reunion, I was having a few problems and managing them on the road without making a big deal (and thus starting a heated HPS conversation) was a bit challenging. When I travel, I try to be very careful about what I’m consuming. I can’t risk eating healthy fruits and veggies if I’m going to be in a car driving across Kansas without easy and frequent access to a bathroom. So, I ate a lot of carbs, pasta, bread etc. I normally drink a lot. I find as soon as I don’t, I develop a bladder or kidney infection. But, again, traveling I was trying to limit the intake – and thus, of course, got a bladder infection. I felt as though I had to go constantly, which was very aggravating. I also currently have three little skin ulcers right under my stoma. They are sore, and they do tend to bleed. The whole time I was nervous about leaks, and did have one. Luckily it was at grandma’s so I could easily fix it (although those little sores hurt like crazy when I did.)

These past two days I’ve had bad acid reflux. I don’t know why as I’ve been taking my zantac. The night before last I’d evidently once again taken off my CPAP mask and not even been aware of it. I woke up with the mask on the floor. In the meantime, I woke up gasping for air with my lungs just burning.

That has got to be one of the most horrible feelings in the world. It’s so scary to feel as though you can’t get any air. And, it’s really scary when you’re totally by yourself and no one knows you’re struggling.

I think some of the reflux must have gotten into my airway. That is really, really bad. I managed to sputter and cough and finally take big gasps of air (that burned like crazy). I coughed and coughed with lots of phehm, took a puff of albuderol as I couldn’t catch my breath and when I could breathe again, took some sips of ice water that at least made my throat feel better.

During the day my tummy felt upset and acid-like all day. Today it’s better.

When we were traveling my mom was very annoyed by all my belching. I’m also hugely annoyed – it’s so embarrassing to be with a bunch of people and suddenly, from out of no where, let out this massave belch which is as much a surprise to you as to anyone else. What my mom doesn’t realize is that this is an improvement. Before I started the Zantac, it wasn’t just a belch.

But, the belching has been worse and if it continues, I wonder if I should be making a little visit to my GI guy.

I’m just so thankful that these are all just minor problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h