Skip to main content

Better access to research papers for patients

This is a press release that popped into my e-mail today from the Genetic Alliance. I thought it too might be of interest to many of you. I'm one of those patients that tries to actually read the latest literature on my disorder. To our doctors, that might seem a bit weird at times - perhaps even a sign of insanity. Lord knows I frequently don't understand everything I'm reading. In fact, I usually arrive at NIH with a list of questions and consider it the highlight of the week when I actually get to ask a few of them to our researchers there.

I try to stay up on the research for several reasons. First, how can I best advocate for our needs if I don't know what's going on? Second, having such a rare disorder, I know my doctors at home don't have the time to comb the Web for the latest research on HPS. Usually these papers don't offer a new treatment, but they do offer me hope. Each one is like a little peice of a puzzle and slowly the peices are coming together. Third, well, to be frank, I just like the challenge of trying to understand these papers. I'm so proud of myself when I "get it."

There is a movement afoot in the patient world (go Genetic Alliance) to make research funded by our tax dollars available to patients (after peer review). I can't tell you how many times I've found a paper I was dying to read, only to not be able to get past the summary without paying $50 or more to get the entire thing. I've found ways to get around this. I nose around in the medical library at KUMed when I can. I ask one of our researchers if they've seen the paper, if they have a copy, and if they'd mind sending it to me - although I rarely do this becuase I really, really hate to pester them for anything. My silly little need to know everything isn't worth their time. It isn't like I'm going to cure this thing - and I'd rather their valuable time be concentrated on finding the cure!

The problem is medical journals stay in busines by charging. It will be interesting to see how they respond to this effort.

But, in the meantime, it only seems fair that if my tax dollars have funded research that I ought to be able to read it.

At any rate, here's the press release.



Alliance for Taxpayer Accesswww.taxpayeraccess.org

For immediate releaseJuly 20, 2007
Contact:Jennifer McLennanjennifer [at] arl [dot] org(202) 296-2296 ext. 121

HOUSE BACKS TAXPAYER-FUNDED RESEARCH ACCESS

Final Appropriations Bill Mandates Free Access to NIH Research Findings
Washington, D.C. - July 20, 2007 - In what advocates hailed as a major advance for scientific communication, the U.S. House of Representatives yesterday approved a measure directing the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to provide free public online access to agency-funded research findings within 12 months of their publication in a peer-reviewed journal.


With broad bipartisan support, the House passed the provision as part of the FY2008 Labor, HHS, and Education Appropriations Bill.

"The House has affirmed the principle that broad sharing of publicly funded research findings on the Internet is an essential component of our nation's investment in science," said Heather Joseph, Executive Director of SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition), and a leader of the Alliance for Taxpayer Access (ATA). "This action paves the way for all scientists and citizens to access, use, and benefit from the results of publicly funded biomedical research."

"We're pleased by Congress's recognition of the fundamental rationale for public access - that better-informed patients, clinicians, and researchers will mean better health outcomes," said Sharon Terry, President of the Genetic Alliance and an ATA activist. "The time has come to sweep away unnecessary barriers to understanding and treating disease. The Genetic Alliance thanks and congratulates the House of Representatives for taking this vital step."

The current NIH Public Access Policy, implemented in 2005 as a voluntary measure, has resulted in the deposit of less than 5% of eligible research by individual investigators.

In a recent letter to Congress, 26 Nobel Laureates called for enactment of mandatory NIH public access, noting that, "requiring compliance is not a punitive measure, but rather a simple step to ensure that everyone, including scientists themselves, will reap the benefits that public access can provide. We have seen this amply demonstrated in other innovative efforts within the NIH - most notably with the database that contains the outcome of the Human Genome Project.

""The coalition of support for the NIH policy is extremely broad," added Joseph. "This critical step was achieved as a result of the vision and collective effort of patient groups, scientists, researchers, publishers, students, and consumers who registered their support."

A similar measure has been approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee and will be considered by the full Senate later this summer.

###

The Alliance for Taxpayer Access is a coalition of patient, academic, research, and publishing organizations that supports open public access to the results of federally funded research. The Alliance was formed in 2004 to urge that peer-reviewed articles stemming from taxpayer-funded research become fully accessible and available online at no extra cost to the American public. Details on the ATA may be found at http://www.taxpayeraccess.org.

Comments

Care said…
That would be wonderful to have access to the latest research. I am the same way about research - I have read everything I can get my hands on related to Ethan's issues, including mouse studies and other things that I can't possibly fully understand.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect