Skip to main content

Todo, could we not be in Kansas anymore?

I’m being haunted by lawn mowers. They’re everywhere I go as if they’re chasing me. Kansas, after all, is a prairie, even in suburbia.

This morning was a lovely morning, cool yet sunny. As I stood waiting for the bus, there was a man mowing that little strip of grass between the street and the sidewalk. My eyes started to well up, my nose started to run.

I didn’t dare go out for lunch and leave the nice, air-conditioned air of the office building.

When I caught my bus this evening there were a bunch of men on those giant industrial mowers, the kind where you stand on the back, mowing right by the bus stop. And when I got off the bus at the dry cleaners to pick up my suits, and then walked the mile home – it seemed as though every block had at least one lawn mower going.

This is crazy.

I’m supposed to be dealing with “real” medical issues here. Or, I’m supposed to be living in absolute glee that I’m not dealing with “real” medical issues. How is it possible that it seems as though my work life, my very brain, is completely incapacitated by something as mundane as seasonal allergies? You’ve got to be kidding me!

But, that’s where I’m at. I’m doing a very good impression of the spacey blonde. Today I missed several mistakes in articles that were no brainers. I should have caught them. I should have known that the lead in one article was awful. I should have remembered that company X changed its name three weeks ago. But I didn’t. I can’t think straight.

I had hoped that my visit to the doc. would have yielded some sort of solution. I hoped I’d complain about how wonky all this allergy medication is making me and the doctor would say, “Oh, well then, we should put you on such and such – fewer pills and no fatigue.” And presto, the problem would be solved.

Instead I got almost the identical lecture Kevin gave me after my little medication strike. Take the meds. You can’t not take them. Everyone seems to be worried that if I stop taking all this stuff, not only will I be the hive woman, but my airway is going to somehow swell shut, or the allergies are going to mess with my breathing. Okay, I have to admit, it’s a reasonable concern. Even on all the meds I was puffing the abuderol to make it through the gauntlet of mowers.

I judge how my breathing is doing based on how easy or hard it is to do things I do all the time, like walking to the grocery store. It’s a mile walk with a gentle up and down grade. Usually I can do it at a nice pace, not even get out of breath, and not feel like crap when I get home. When I started the trial I always got winded by the time I got home and felt so tired afterwards that I felt as though I needed a nap. Since being on the study drug that’s improved – but today I was back to panting. It must be the grass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h