Skip to main content

A new disorder

It seems I have a new disorder to add to my collection. Before I went to ATS, regular readers may remember, my thyroid numbers were off at the NIH, and that my local doc. had run some follow up tests here at home.

I called today to check on the results and it seems the local doc. concurs with Kevin. They believe I have something called Hashimoto’s Syndrome. It’s actually not that rare, does run in my family and is very easily treated. I’ll start taking a thyroid hormone at a low dose at first to see if things improve.

I was elated at the news, to be honest.

Kevin at NIH (and pretty much everyone else) has been on my case about losing weight for some time, but especially since I entered the drug trial. And I have tried. Of all the diets I’ve tried, I’ve found Weight Watchers to be the easiest to comply with. I like the points system. But, even when I’m on my best behavior, carefully logging everything, exercising etc I never lose anything. In fact, I gain.

With all of my other health issues and complications, this is no easy task. And when it’s never met with any positive reinforcement or success, it’s so demoralizing. Several months ago I just gave up completely. I can’t even begin to tell you how humiliating it is to weigh in week after week and never even once meet with even a pound of success.

The more you struggle, the more everyone is an expert, monitoring everything they see you eat to see if you’re really being honest – or just a pig. Emotionally, I couldn’t deal with it anymore.

I’ve been dreading the nutritionist even more than my pulmonary function test results lately. Thankfully, when she dropped by for her “talk” I wasn’t in the room, and Karen told her to ease up on me.

I’d complain about this to my doctors, as well as about the fatigue I sometimes have for months on end, and it felt as though no one believed me – except Kevin. (Fatigue goes with so many of the other health issues I have going on that I don’t think anyone cares when I whine I’m tired.)

He’d noticed my thyroid was off on the last few trips, and this time I felt like he must have done quite a bit of research on the issue. He gave me some papers to take home to my local doctor. She ran her own battery of tests, and upon reviewing my blood work for the last year, seems to agree with Kevin.

For years actually, my thyroid, which I have tested regularly because of my family history, has hovered around the border between the normal and abnormal range. Now, it seems as though it’s been slipping more into the abnormal range.

I just hope this helps! I don’t think my psyche can take much more failure in this department.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h