Skip to main content

Visiting one of my “homes”

This is the windmill that is in the center of the town of Osterholz. I know it very well. I spent many hours drawing it in high school art class. Grin!

Home is a funny concept. If you’ve always lived in the same place, you know where you call home. For me, having moved every three years of my childhood, home isn’t just where I live today – it’s the places I’ve lived with the happiest of memories.

I look back on the places I’ve lived and I feel “homesick” – even though if I returned to them today no one would know me and everything would have changed. I’m not sure I’d want to go back to some of these places, even if I could. They are so wonderful in my memory, I’d be afraid I might spoil them.

One of those places for me was Osterholz-Sharmbeck, a town outside of Bremen in northern Germany. Osterholz-Sharmbeck, as I remember it, sits on the edge of the Teufelsmoor (Devil’s Moor). I lived in a village outside of Osterholz from 1987 to 1991. When I look back at that period of my life, I think of it as “home.”

My parents had gotten a divorce in 1985. It was a horrible time for me. My world was ripped apart and turned upside down. My mom had always been a stay-at-home mom, and suddenly she was thrust into the labor market. She went to graduate school and within two years had earned her Masters degree while caring for Ryan and I and working full time. It was a major accomplishment – although life in our household for those two years was pretty stressful.

When my mom got a job overseas teaching in the U.S. Department of Defense Schools our lives became happy again. While we weren’t rich, it seemed like the financial pressure was less. My mom and I were the closest during this period. And, everything in life was exciting and an adventure. Even just going into town and buying a coke was an adventure when everything seemed foreign and you couldn’t speak the language. I loved the challenge of it. I loved the adventure of it. I soaked everything up that I could and absorbed it into my being. Today, when it’s cold, dark and rainy, I think of the Teufelsmoor and feel alive.

I don’t have any digital pictures of my most beloved places from there – can you even remember life before digital cameras and the internet?

So, taking a break from working on the HPS Newsletter today I started plugging in the names of places I remembered, and found some wonderful Web sites!! I’ve even been choked up looking at these places to see how they’ve changed, and amazingly, how much they’ve remained the same! And, now I can share them with you!



Comments

Unknown said…
I know exactly how you feel! Heck, even living here in Austin, an hour and a half from the city I called home for almost 30 years (San Antonio) - sometimes I feel homesick for it. It's funny you posted this now, because a couple of days ago was just talking to a friend of mine about this. I came to the conclusion that it's not really a feeling of homesickness (because I don't REALLY want to move back to San Antonio), but more a sense of nastalgia, reminiscing. I think in memory, those things are better anyway. ;) I think I'd be too disapopointed with the way things have changed in SA - most of my family doesn't live there anymore anyway. Everyone moved out to Dallas or to the hill country.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h