Skip to main content

The FMLA pow-wow

Today I finally talked with my company’s HR department about the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and my various health problems. It was much harder than I ever realized it would be. I should have had this conversation some time ago, but I suppose I didn’t realize just how much I was dreading it.

My medical life is an open book. It wasn’t so much that I minded sharing what’s happening to me. Perhaps it was a psychological thing more than anything else – I had to formalize how Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome is impacting my work life. I had to “petition” for consideration related to this disorder – and I was very surprised at how that impacted me. I really didn’t expect to have any sort of a reaction to it.

I’m not particularly close to anyone in HR so it was like talking to a stranger about my issues. I explained the clinical trial at NIH. I had to explain why it is I’m traveling to Bethesda every four months for this drug trial and not seeking out something closer to home. The turn the conversation took I had to be rather blunt to make the point. This isn’t like volunteering for one of those clinical trials you hear about on the radio where they pay you to be a test subject. The type of HPS I have is causing pulmonary fibrosis in my lungs and that is ultimately fatal. There is no FDA approved treatment for this. This is my only real choice. At the same time I tried to be positive and upbeat. I really am pretty positive about the long term, much more so than I used to be. But as I heard myself try to explain how exciting the research is and how things might not turn out be so dire – I sounded to myself like some desperate patient grasping at straws for hope. I’m not, but I sounded like it.

How do you explain to someone hearing about HPS for the first time this sort of double world many of us live in – completely prepared for and aware of the worst case scenario but living life in terms of the best case scenario?

I had to explain my concern. It isn’t so much missing work for the drug trial – it’s all the little stuff that comes up in between. Things like running back and forth to pee in cups or ostomy leaks or such. All of them are small problems really. They certainly aren’t preventing me from working, but since I can’t drive, it does take longer to manage them. A single doctor appointment can burn the better part of a work day. I know I’ve got many more doctors appointments ahead of me this year – never mind catching a cold or flu or other such bug.

Maybe in the end I won’t need the leave, but as I’ve already missed five days this year, I thought I ought to be pro-active about protecting myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h