Skip to main content

Adventures in dieting – cheated by green tea

I am, bar none, the world’s worst dieter – yet I’m constantly trying, falling off the wagon, and trying again. I know everyone has lots of excuses, but it isn’t easy (a subject for another blog entry.)

For the past few weeks I’ve been on the “kick.” I know Kevin is going to give me hell when I’m at NIH, and I’m just working and praying for even the slightest success to keep him, and the nutritionist, off my back. Even just a few measly pounds would be nice – anything to prove that I’m actually working on this problem.

One area I was particularly struggling with was beverages. I like fufu coffee – the stuff that doesn’t actually taste like coffee because it’s so loaded down with sugar and cream. Knowing that such drinks can really get you, I’d been avoiding them – that is until my most recent battle with fatigue.

I’m so tired before the work day even starts that I’ve naughtily been stopping at the deli in the basement of my office building for a little Starbucks treat. I need the caffeine/sugar kick. I’m not kidding; I need some kind of kick to keep functioning through the day.

This is bad – very, very bad.

My boss, a tiny little Asian woman who probably weighs all of 90 pounds, suggested I try tea – no calories and you can find versions with the caffeine. Great idea!

So, this morning I was so good. I arrived at work with all the very carefully measured things for me to eat for lunch and snacks – audited for their Weight Watchers point values etc. I stopped by the deli, and instead of choosing the Starbucks (ohhhh I missed it, don’t get me wrong) I bought a bottle of Green Tea.

Perfect, or so I thought. Not only should it be low-cal, but green tea has anti-oxidants. Those are great for your lungs! People say when they eat better they feel better. To be honest, I feel about the same regardless of whether I spend the week eating veggies or McDonalds. Maybe that’s part of my motivation problem. Not only do I never lose weight, even when I’m working at it – but I never feel any different either. But I do notice that when I really work at eating lots of anti-oxidants I do feel better, provided I can keep the runs at bay (which isn’t always possible.)

But back to the tea!

I settled into my desk, feeling so great that I was on track, and drank my tea as I checked my e-mail. It actually tasted pretty good – not as good as my Starbucks – but pretty good. I looked at the label to see what was in it.

Horror! I thought that tea would have almost no calories. WRONG! Try 160 calories – and it’s loaded with sodium even though it says, “low sodium” on the package. Why not just drink a real Coke for peat’s sake?

I felt cheated.

It wasn’t that the package wasn’t labeled mind you. It’s my fault. But drats – if it were easy for me to read labels I would have looked while I was still at the deli.

I had to put the bottle under my CCTV to read it.

Sabotaged by tea!

Grrrrrrr

Comments

Unknown said…
Ahh, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't drink coffee but I love Starbuck's coffee as long as it has the fufu stuff in it. LOL. Bless your heart. Don't get to down about your weight, I know how frustrating that can be. It's so hard when the things you're supposed to eat bother your stomach. Just keep on going and it will come off in time.

We love you,
Candice and Crystal
Anonymous said…
Hi it's Kelly again. I told my boss last Friday I was going to start bringing tea with me to work for a couple times a day. She immediately suggested to stay away from the Green Tea. She says it can make a person sleepoer and that's the opposite of what we wanted to do. Needless to say, I'm taking in some Lipton glass bottles of plain unsweetened tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h