Skip to main content

Quiet

My next door neighbor appears to have gone somewhere for the weekend, and I’m in heaven! This evening I’ve been sorting papers, filing things, watching TV, cleaning my kitchen – all without the now familiar sounds of explosions, shooting or a simply annoying base from the stereo. It isn’t that he’s loud really. It’s that the walls seem to be made of paper and he has recently acquired a TV with what appears to be a great sound system (if you’re in his apartment). He’s also discovered video games. He’s got to be pushing 40, but he’s definitely over there playing video games. That is when he’s not listening to his country or jazz music. He’s sort of a guy that, while not truly loud, perpetually makes noise. When I was sick last Friday and trying to sort out my insurance company problems I could hear him on the phone. I heard both sides of the conversation because he makes all phone calls while talking on speaker phone.

It isn’t all his fault. I know that scientifically they’ve proven that blind or low vision people really don’t have better hearing than the rest of the world – they just use it more efficiently. Yet, sometimes I wonder if I’ve got some sort of super hearing going on because I hear things other people never seem to hear. And, sometimes, it drives me nuts!

At work I toil away in the cube farm, almost never without my earphones on. The reason is it’s better for my concentration to hear one noise really well than a bunch of noises competing with one another. And if I listen to the same CD over and over eventually I tune it out when I really need to focus. I’ve been listening to Bethany Dillon for several months now.

When the ear phones are removed, however, I hear every conversation going on around me. I hear conversations at the reception desk, even though several walls separate me from that area. I hear people’s conversations behind closed doors in their offices (often conversations I know I’m not supposed to know about.) I would prefer to not hear these things because it’s really hard to focus with so much input. While I know I’m not supposed to be listening, is just there – and sometimes it’s juicy and interesting.

As much as the guy next door annoys me, I never go and complain unless it’s after 11:00 pm on a weeknight, or midnight on the weekends. I’ve got to sleep! I know the other neighbors are irritated as well. None of them have the nerve to go knock on his door and address the issue directly. They just complain to the landlord, and the neighbor assumes the complaints are coming from me. I can hear them as well when they run into each other in the laundry room under my apartment. (The laundry room is a great place to learn things you’d rather not know about your neighbors!) This has soured relations over the wooden fence, but I have never once complained to the landlord.

But, I must say, things have been so relaxing today. I wonder if he’s taken a nice long trip somewhere? Am I horrible or what?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect