Skip to main content

It’s a blog birthday!

In all of the events of the past few weeks it totally escaped me that I’ve now kept this blog for more than a year! Wow! It doesn’t seem that long.

When I first started the blog, I intended it to be more of a mix of my own thoughts with HPS-related topics thrown in as well. I’ve long wanted to write a book about the HPS Network, the history of the syndrome and our journey to the cure. It seemed a good place to “take notes” of all the many little things that happen along the way, and what it takes to advocate in the medical world and get research and treatments.

But a year into the blog, and it seems to have morphed yet again. I don’t have time to write the book right now. I’m too busy trying to get the cure. Grin! And, the story isn’t finished yet. Maybe when we get FDA approval for Pirfenidone to treat HPS there will be a development worthy of an ending (although that won’t be the end of the story either.)

Something else, however, has happened with the blog along the way. I average 30 to 50 readers a day. Hardly earth shaking, but most of those are other people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome.

Having a rare disease can sometimes leave you questioning your own sanity. We experience symptoms that often go undiagnosed, untreated or unappreciated by our doctors and families. We have a thought process, an experience, so different than that of many of the people around us that often we keep it to ourselves. We stew in our own juices, sort of speak, and sometimes think that we’re the only ones with these thoughts and emotions running through us. We’re striving to somehow be heard and understood. Over the course of this year I’ve had a number of e-mails or posts from people saying, “I’ve had that happen to me,” or “That’s how I feel too.” For me, those are treasures.

I treasure them because they’re messages from people I dearly love. I treasure them because it reminds me that we’re not all in this alone. We’ve got each other. There are actually other people that understand. It’s comforting to know there are others out there that can relate.

I’ve also had the occasional e-mail, (always from someone removed from the HPS world) chastising me for sharing so many intimate details of my life and my health. Somehow they’ve stumbled on these pages and they still don’t get it. It’s for those e-mails that God created the delete key. Who cares. If I got a thousand of those e-mails, I’d still be transparent for the sake of a single HPS’er that says they’ve benefited from knowing someone else struggles with bowel issues, or horrible periods, or bad breathing days.

I don’t know how this blog will morph in the future. It’s a constant work in progress. But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed keeping it, and been blessed so many times over by those who have read it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s... you are just so awesome!
Anonymous said…
Happy Blogiversary! Your openness is an absolute gift.
Anonymous said…
Heather, I just found you since you left a comment on my blog's post about my dd with albinism but I think what you are doing here is fabulous. It makes me sad to think of the thousands of people with rare diseases like HPS and XP who were all alone before the internet burst on the scene.

We've never met another affected person in real life, but have had the internet to connect and hopefully before my daughter reaches adulthood, she'll be able to meet another.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect