Skip to main content

What a strange Christmas

Friday I went into the office even though I had the day off. I’ve missed so much work this past month and I was back from NIH and felt pretty good – so I went. It was a quiet day as there was hardly anyone there. And the people that were there weren’t doing much of anything but standing around and talking. It gave me a chance, however, to at least catch up on my work e-mail. That took until past noon!

Today I’ve been home all day. I intentionally am spending the holidays alone so I can catch up on all the things that I’m behind on or that are overwhelming me. That’s the trouble with missing so much work for the drug trial and health stuff (not that I’m not thrilled to do it) – I never get time off to do simple things like clean, or sort, or file. So often on weeknights I’m just too tired, and if I’m not too tired I’m working on freelance work or HPS work. It feels sometimes like I’m not thriving in my life – I’m just surviving it. I’m just doing what I’ve got to do to keep my head above water.

So, my Christmas gift to myself was to be getting my personal business under control so I don’t constantly feel so stressed out and overwhelmed by it.

I had planned to put up my Christmas tree today finally, but decided against it. I didn’t want to waste the hours I needed to catch up on the tree that I’d only be trying to find time to take down in a week. It looks as though next weekend I may have company, and thus I’m under the gun that much more with this precious time off. Oddly enough missing out on the tree has me more bummed than spending Christmas alone.

It doesn’t seem much like Christmas. I so love the preparation of Christmas – the getting ready for a special time. But, since I don’t have a single vacation day coming, probably for years, I really, really need to maximize these few days.

People just don’t understand. I don’t know why, but I get so tired sometimes so easily. Tasks that I once I did easily on a Saturday morning now take me all day. And sometimes I’ve got to choose between them and seeing friends or running errands. I just can’t do it all and there’s something always nawing at me undone.

Today I bagged half of the fall leaves from my patio. I hadn’t raked them up from the fall thinking I’d wait until all the fall leaves fell so I could do it all at once. But, then I got sick and never had the energy to do them. I did half before my asthma-like stuff kicked in, which is pretty good. It’s a further illustration, however, of why I’ll never be able to care for a yard. A little patio is almost more than I can handle. I dusted the living room, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned half the bathroom (had to stop because the cleaner oder was getting to me) and I did three loads of laundry. I took some things downstairs to storage and threw out several boxes of stuff. (There’s much more where that came from!) I worked on filing a bit, but there’s much more of that to do as well.

I also made a batch of fudge (but only ate one piece) and two dozen cookies. I thought I might need them next weekend. I still have so much to do though. Oh how I dream of nothing but a week in my own house with my own music to get everything completely clean. How wonderful it would be to have just a few days to do nothing but write and paint. I only half finished the painting I was working on in the hospital and who knows when I’ll find the time to finish it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMG, Heather, reading this I felt you were describing me. I can't catch up. The pain on my legs gets too much, so I sit at the computer instead...there I'm fine. I'm paying lots of money out on late fees on bills, etc., which then stresses me out... At least you don't have the added pressure of an ex-husband coming over to see his daughter and pointing things out to you. That is really a bummer. Now I feel the pressure that he will be seeing the same thing that he saw the last time he was over. This further lets me know that he does not fully understand my medical condition.
Amen! I'm sure people think I "waste" a lot of time online, but it's something I can do when I really don't feel good. Even when I'm struggling to write stories for work I can blog. To blog, I don't have to read notes or study numbers. I just have to spew.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect