Skip to main content

Still feeling under the weather

Thanks to all the well-wishers! I really do appreciate it. And yes Ana! I listened to you. Grin!!! Sometimes I just need a little motherly nudge.

This strep infection persists, although I think maybe (and it’s a maybe) the antibiotics started to kick in this evening. I’m feeling quite grouchy and very tired. I did go to work today and felt bad for all my co-workers who had to listen to me blow my fog horn and hack up a lung all day long.

I felt horrible. At noon, after talking to Mama Donna (who refused to discuss HPS business with me until I called my doc – just the sort of mothering I needed!), I called my doctor’s office back to complain that I wasn’t feeling any better and it had been two days. I got a call back from the nurse and a polite pat on the head with instructions to be more patient.

I hated to call, but felt a little better about complaining after Donna said I should be feeling better. This evening my sore throat is still sore, but better. I don’t feel quite as spacy in the head or as feverish – but my ears still hurt and I’ve been coughing my head off.

The doctor listened to my lungs on Monday and said they sounded clear – none of the dreaded crackling. Still, today I’m at work trying to edit news briefs and I couldn’t even get through a simple paragraph without coughing. This meant, of course, that I had to stop, hack for what seemed like forever until I was completely out of breath and panting for air, and then try to find my place again and resume where I left off. What was this brief about again?

The coughing is also making my chest burn inside. How could that be good?


My nystagmus is aggravated when I’m tired, and I haven’t slept more than maybe an hour at a time since last week. I can’t stop coughing! And, using my CPAP is impossible with a raw throat and a cough – thus if the coughing doesn’t wake me up then an apnea event does. I’M TIRED!!! WHAT PART OF TIRED DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND? I'm prone to stop breathing at night, so I use a CPAP machine to keep my airway open. But, when your throat is raw, all that air being forced down your throat to keep it open hurts! And, trying to cough against air pressure isn't fun either.

The one bright spot is that my period is actually normal this month. Thank God for that! A little mercy anyway.

I feel so bad being such a baby about this. I know what’s like to be really sick and in the hospital for months on end as one day melts into another and you feel as though there’s no relief in sight.

Still, today I was ready to have a tantrum. Look doc. these drugs aren’t doing it. If only he'd been the one to call me back. HA! No use being cross with the nurse messenger.

Maybe he was right though. Still, I can’t help but be very concerned about my coughing. Coughing and lung problems just don’t go well together. If nothing is going on in there then why am I suddenly so easily winded and out of breath? And geesh doc….my sides and stomach muscles are so sore now I can barely cough when I feel I need to get some junk out. I’m soooo sore from all the hacking.

This evening I was supposed to read over a bunch of data for a story I’m working on that needs to be completed ASAP. How can I make sense of a bunch of numbers (not my strong suit anyway) when I can’t get through half a page without stopping for at least a five-minute hack break?

Whine, whine, whine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h