Skip to main content

Kudos for Overland Park City Hall

Well, I’m supposed to be cleaning house and getting ready for my trip, but I’ve been running some errands and I’m tired and just need to sit for a minute – so I thought I’d blog a bit.

If you’ve ever been involved in the world of blind politics, you know there are several different philosophies about how blindness affects daily life, who is really considered “blind” and how we should cope with this disability.

I’ve always fallen into the camp that one should always be extremely careful about asking for society to make adaptations for us. Nothing is free in life. Everything comes with a price. Society, in general, thinks that blind people are helpless and unable to adapt to the sighted world. They say things like, “I just don’t know how you do it. If I closed my eyes I could never do xyz….” What they fail to appreciate is that learning to adapt to low vision or blindness requires learning a set of skills, just like everything else in life. Once those skills are learned not seeing well can be reduced to essentially an inconvenience. Okay, sometimes it seems like a big inconvenience here in suburbia, the big green jail, as I call it. But, we must operate in a world with a bunch of people walking around with their eyes closed, and thinking that this is what it's like to be blind. They're the ones, for example, who sit on the other side of the table in a job interview. They can't imagine how we'd function without a zillion adaptations to our basic living environment.

The problem is programs that adequately teach these skills are few and far between and many blind/low vision people don’t have adequate access to these programs. In my opinion, this ought to be the top legislative issue of the organized blind movement. But, that’s another blog entry.

So, with this background in mind, and keeping in mind that I’d rather eat my shoe than ask for any sort of concession from city hall – I e-mailed the city engineer’s department (the folks in charge of building codes and approving construction projects) about my little problem with the construction projects underway on Metcalf.

Friday I got a response. Two very nice city engineers had a conference call with me to discuss the problem. They were extremely nice, very accommodating, and probably would have been all for beeping streetlights and whatever else if I’d asked for it. But, I don’t want those things. I just want to be able to safely walk down the street without having to take a ¾ of a mile detour to access a grocery store, drug store etc.

They’re going to work on the problem while I’m out of town, talk to the construction projects involved, and see what the time table is and whether they could at least keep a path clear of dangerous debris along the street.

I’m thrilled. I’ve thought a lot about whether my request was reasonable and what sort of a message it sent about the abilities of blind people. I decided that because the inconvenience to me, a tax paying citizen, is so great, and the solution is so small, that it was justified.

And, I must say, I was impressed with the civil servants at Overland Park City Hall. Kudos guys!

Comments

Unknown said…
Way to go City Hall. And way to go Heather. I think this is one "cause" worth fighting for, especially because it sounds like you can get some results.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect