Skip to main content

In a stew

I’ve spent the greater part of today in bed. This cold doesn’t seem to be improving. My head hurts. My throat feels like I’ve swallowed sand paper. My throat feels swollen. And the cough has now progressed from a minor little dry hack, hack, to something resembling a dog’s barking. This is the most worrying for me.

I think it’s just another sinus infection. But, I’m supposed to be at NIH in a little over two weeks, and anything respiratory going on could affect my test results. It’s not just a matter of whether my test results are a bit low – but if I’m on the Pirfenidone and not the placebo, a low result could make a ding in the overall data.

If, after 40 people are admitted to the study and they’ve all been followed for 18 months, there’s an improvement in the Pirfendone group over the placebo group, then everyone goes on the drug for the duration of the trial. Thus, I feel like it isn’t just about my health. It’s about the bigger picture.

Still, I’m sitting here contemplating going to the doctor tomorrow. I really don’t have any days left. The remaining days I need for the NIH trip. It’s probably just a cold and there’s probably not too much that anyone can do about it.

Yet, this “virus” seems to be an on again, off again thing since before Thanksgiving. It’s definitely affecting my coughing and breathing now – so unless I feel magically healed in the morning I guess I should go in. I just feel like such a whining baby….waaahh….doc…..I’ve got a cold…..waaaahhh…

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Heather:

I've been wanting to call you, but since you're not feeling well, did not want to bother you. I hope you don't think me out of line, but sometimmes we need someone to push us to see the doctor. I do the same thing, let it go on and on thinking that it will resolve itself soon, meanwhile weeks go by before it all blows over. This knowing that us, having HPS, should not ignore certain things. God forbid you should have pneumonia or bronchitis? Please do go see the doctor tomorrow?

Have a good night and feel better.

Love,
>Ana<
You're absolutely right Ana - if any other HPS'er called me hacking into the phone, I'd insist they go to the doc. I've just had this thing drilled into me since childhood to just buck it up. I know, I should go.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect