Skip to main content

Wallet?

Today has been one of those days that just hasn’t gone according to plan, and oh how it frustrates me. I think I’ve still been battling this virus as I’ve just felt so, so tired. I didn’t manage to even wake up until noon. My apartment is still a pit and it’s stressing me out. People will be dropping by to get me for Thanksgiving and it needs to be presentable. I’ve also got some HPS projects that absolutely have to get done this weekend. They can’t wait.

I know that might seem like something that can be put on a back burner until I’m caught up – but it isn’t. I can’t yet talk about what I’m working on, but if it is successful it will be about a 100 times more important than whether my apartment is clean.

My joints just ache and Tylenol isn’t doing a thing for them. I don’t want to take the narcotic the doc. gave me because I don’t want to spend the day drugged out and foggy in the head. I never take the stuff unless I just can’t stand it anymore. So, instead I soaked in a very hot bath. That always helps. My stiff joints seem to loosen up and they don’t ache as much.

Afterwards, I answered a few e-mails and worked on my HPS project for a bit – but I had a bad case of writers block. I just couldn’t seem to get inspired. My head was pounding by this time, so I took more Tylenol (this has to stop or I’m going to screw up my liver), and crawled back in bed with the quilt pulled right up over my head. The dark seemed to make the headache less severe.

I turned on the radio and listened to a really great sermon on Christian radio. Don’t ask me who was giving it because I don’t know. I sort of fell asleep and drifted in and out – but it had to do with how the storms in our lives either serve to correct us, or refine us – depending on what we need. Yep. I could concur with that from experience!

I fell asleep for a while but woke up to the base of my neighbor’s stereo. GROAN!!! When your head is splitting there’s nothing like the thump, thump, thump of a base to just about drive you out of your skin. More Tylenol.

I decided that since I was stuck on my project, and I couldn’t stand the base, I’d go for a walk. I hadn’t been out of the house all day, and well, it is Saturday night. You can’t complain about music early on a Saturday night. I thought (correctly) that if I just disappeared for a while the party would likely move on to where ever it is my neighbor and his pals go on Saturday nights.

So, I had a wonderful walk around the neighborhood. It was dark as the sun goes down so early right now, but I loved it. It felt so good to be out in the fresh air and getting some much needed exercise. Deciding it was probably too early to go home and avoid the racket; I went to one of the local hang outs and ordered some dinner.

I sat and ate and scribbled some ideas down for my project, gradually unblocking my brain. The bill came and I reached into my purse. No wallet! What! My stomach did a flip. Frantically I rummaged through my purse removing inhalers and medicine bottles, piling the pharmacy up on the table. No wallet. I did find my checkbook and thankfully was able to pay with a check – but my stomach was in knots. Where was my wallet? I don’t think they really wanted to take a check, but I know the owner from the neighborhood. Talk about embarrassing!

I hadn’t even been out of the house. I knew I bought lunch yesterday and had my wallet. I went as fast as my aching ankles would let me go home. I started going through the piles of stuff looking – irritated that I’m not more organized. Finally a sigh of relief! The wallet was in my laundry basket. I’d been looking for quarters for the laundry machine. Wheeew!

And, after taking a deep breath I noticed I didn’t hear a thing. It was quiet. Wonderful quiet!

I didn’t make it to Target and I really, really need to go. I need to get a baby gift, buy a new toilet seat and while I’m there I’ll probably get a few heavy grocery items like juice, soda, and big packages of paper towels and toilet paper, and laundry soap. When you don’t drive, you plan out any trip involving cab fare like a military operation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h