Skip to main content

Leading the way

The following McClatchy News Service story appeared in the Kansas City Star, the Wichita Eagle, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the San Jose Mercury News, and undoubtedly a number of other papers. But, it just came to my attention in the National Federation of the Blind’s magazine, The Braille Monitor. (Check out the NFB at: www.nfb.org.) I’ve got to confess, I’m not a Sen. Sam Brownback fan. In fact, when it comes to politics, we’re probably about as opposite as opposites can be. But, I’ve got to give him kudos for creating what appears to be such a great working environment for people with disabilities. And, hey, as much as he makes me nuts, he gets a brownie point for hiring someone who is first qualified, and second, blind.

I've also got to give a big kudos to the reporter that did this story. So often when blind people show up in the media, it's in a very insulting manner. No so here. These are the sorts of stories we need to see more of in the media.

By the way, I'm also a graduate of the Louisiana Center for the Blind. It was a life altering experience. I doubt very much I'd be as independent as I am today had I not been so lucky as to go there.


Capitol Tour Guide Shows Visitors an Unexpected Thing or Two
by Sadia Latifi


Stacy Cervenka often leads tourists from Kansas through the crowded halls of the Capitol, pointing out presidential busts, historic paintings, and details in the huge dome that arches over their heads. Leading tours is typical duty for Senate aides such as Cervenka, twenty-six, a primly dressed blonde who works for Kansas Republican Sam Brownback. But she brings something extraordinary to the role: she's blind.


"My big fear was that I would point to a vending machine and be like, ‘And this is a picture of George Washington,'" she said in a recent interview. To train herself to give tours, Cervenka explained, she researched the architecture on the Capitol's Web site using software that reads text aloud, called JAWS. She also followed other interns around on their tours, asking lots of questions.


She's an expert now. When she's in the Capitol Rotunda, Cervenka, who uses a cane, determines where she is--and which painting her group is looking at--based on the grooves in the stone floor. In Statuary Hall she invites tourists to join her in discovering tactile details of the sculptured busts.


"When she first arrived as an intern, there were folks that questioned if she was blind," said Brian Hart, Brownback's spokesman. "There was no task she couldn't do. She makes sure she can do everything herself, almost beyond the threshold of what a sighted person would have done."


Brownback agreed, boasting recently that "Stacy gives the best tours of anyone on the Hill."


Cervenka first interned in his office in the summer of 2004, through a program offered by the American Association of People with Disabilities. Each year the program selects students to work in Congress, and Brownback seeks them out.
Cervenka wasn't always self-reliant enough to apply, however. At her high school in Chicago, she stuck to a group of friends and never crossed a busy street alone. She passed up study abroad because she didn't want to travel by herself. She resented the fact that she couldn't drive. She figured that she had no choice. She was born with optic nerve hypoplasia in her left eye, leaving her totally blind in that eye. In her right eye the optic nerve fibers were so deteriorated that she was well beyond legally blind.


After graduating, Cervenka attended Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, for two years. There she started making connections with other blind adults through the National Federation of the Blind. "We went dancing and took the subway, and that opened my eyes to the fact that I wasn't living my life the way I wanted to live it," she recalled.


So she went to the Louisiana Center for the Blind in Ruston, Louisiana, which she describes as "boot camp for the blind." She learned cane travel, home economics, shop, Braille, and technology. She also went on mettle-testing excursions with her blind peers. They tried whitewater rafting, rock climbing, even Mardi Gras in New Orleans, where they learned to cope with crowds.


She recalled the center as very demanding. It required her, for example, to prepare a small seven-course meal. "The scariest part for me was not the rafting or the climbing, but I was really afraid to grill a steak," she said. "I thought I'd light myself on fire." Fire still makes her a little nervous.


After eight months at the center, Cervenka enrolled at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, where she lived off campus, tested herself with classes in judo and horseback riding, and graduated with a double major in French and Italian. Coaches and professors were sometimes reluctant to give her a chance to prove herself, she said. "You have to have high expectations for yourself because sometimes people are willing to let you slide with mediocrity.” “It is so important to get the training and skills you need," she added. "Reasonable accommodations (for physical disabilities) aside, how can you possibly ask people to hire you if you can't do what you need to do?"Since interning, Cervenka has spoken out against accommodations that she thinks may stifle skills development. She's against audible traffic signals, which she considers a waste of money better spent on traffic-noise training. "It never fails to amaze me the things people try to do for me," she said. "A few days ago my shoe was untied, and this guy on the subway bent down as if he was going to tie it. People think that you're going to be childlike and that you don't live in the world or share the same interests as anybody else."


She's been impressed with her experiences on Capitol Hill, however. "When I started interning, the office manager said, ‘How are you going to give tours?' She didn't say, ‘We're not going to let you' or ‘Will you be able to?' She asked how." Cervenka isn't sure what's next. She's considering public policy or a law degree. Her short-term goal, she said, is to get together with a few blind friends and go skydiving.


For more information on the Louisiana Center for the Blind, visit www.lcb-ruston.com.

For information on the American Association of People with Disabilities and its internship possibilities, go to www.aapd-dc.org.

The National Federation of the Blind site is www.nfb.org.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It looks like Stacy was promoted.

http://www.aapd-dc.org/News/disability/061026rc.htm
Care said…
That is an awesome story!
Anonymous said…
OMG Heather, this woman sounds so much like my friend, Rick. I enjoyed this piece, noting the similarities. He has been skydiving twice. Do you know if she is born under Gemini?

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h