Skip to main content

HPS and election day

I’m swamped, but I feel the need to blog. I’m trying to write a story just now (another freelance project) and I can’t concentrate because of all the other thoughts swirling around in my brain. There’s so much to blog about, and I feel like I only get about a 10th of it into the computer.

As this has pretty much become a Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome blog, I wanted to share a few HPS voting stories.

Undoubtedly there were thousands of Americans yesterday who didn’t get to vote. They were having busy days, had to pick up the kids, or hated the candidates (which I have to admit is pretty easy to do.) At the same time, there were other Americans who couldn’t be kept from the polls no matter how many obstacles were thrown in their path.

If you’ve been reading Katy’s blog, (
www.katysblog.com) than you know her platelet count is down and she was admitted to the hospital again today. Yesterday, however, despite the shivers and the cold and not feeling well, Katy insisted on voting. There’s photo evidence on her blog. I don’t think this Democrat has ever been so happy to see a conservative at the polls. GRIN!!! I can’t tell you how thrilled I was to read her mom’s post about the occasion. I was happy that she was feeling well enough to insist on going. And, I was thrilled about her insistence on going. When you’re on a long road to recovery, you need these little milestones in life to fight for and pull you along the way. It’s so easy to get sucked into your illness. No matter how great your attitude about it, the days can seem to melt one into the other and the better days can seem so very far away. Doing things like this that are so important to you personally can make the journey so much better.

My journey to the polls wasn’t quite as big a milestone, but I was really wondering if I’d pull it off at all. I got lucky and was able to leave work an hour early. I got off the bus and walked to the polling place, which was very tiring for me. I would have called someone for a ride, but had no idea when I’d get out work.

After a weekend of bleeding I’m feeling rather tired and run down. I’m sure I’m anemic, but that’s another blog entry. Also, although I haven’t needed my inhaler much lately, there’s definitely a huge difference for me between walking on a flat surface and walking up hill. I feel I could walk forever when it’s flat, but when there’s a hill suddenly I’m huffing, puffing and eventually gasping and feeling light headed. Part of that is being out of shape, but I wonder if part of it goes back to the six minute walk test when my oxygen levels were falling. This is a path that four years ago I didn’t even realize was hilly.

At any rate, I made it there and I voted.

I live in one of the reddest of red areas and figured my vote was more one of duty than substance. But, what do you know, the Democrats set records here in little ole Kansas! I live a mile and a half from the Missouri state line, and thus was also watching the races in Missouri quite closely. I was equally elated by the results there – although there’s still a part of me waiting for someone to ask for a recount, or contest the vote somehow. It was so close, and when I went to bed I was sure things hadn’t gone my way in the Show Me state.

That’s all I’m going to say about politics. I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but with the exception of a few items like genetic discrimination etc. I avoid politics here. Yes, I know, this is my personal blog and not an information organ of the HPS Network. But, I know I’ve got readers more interested in HPS and HPS news than in my politics.

I also have avoided certain issues because in everything I do, I’m thinking to myself – what will further the cure? Right now we as the HPS community need to remain united on issues affecting us right now like getting more people diagnosed earlier so they can receive better care and on filling the drug trial. Thus, I make a great effort to not distract from those goals.

After voting I walked to church, which is a pretty good little walk. I stopped half way to pick up dinner, which was a blessing because I needed the rest. I actually made it in time for the service, and for the mission committee meeting afterwards.

Pastor Pat would be so proud! I actually did let someone drive me home! I’ve got to remember to tell her that! HA! The sweet, well-meaning people of my church are constantly worrying about me walking three blocks home. What they don’t understand is three blocks is nothing. It’s walking to the grocery and carrying a week’s worth of items home, or going to Wal-Mart or Target that are hard.

In fact, for me, the two major selling points of my church are that I love Pastor Pat, and I can walk there so I always have the freedom to come and go as I please. I don’t think anyone appreciates that. Grin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h