Skip to main content

The Gene Race

Does anyone remember the news story from last year about the X-Prize Foundation? This is the group that sponsored a multi-million dollar contest to develop a viable commercial spacecraft that could open up the space frontier to everyone. Well, they’re at it again – and in my opinion doing something even more important – challenging science to conquer the inner frontier, our genome.

Currently, genome mapping is time-consuming and expensive. The X-Prize Foundation is offering a $10 million dollar prize as an incentive to discover a method that would make genome sequencing a practical diagnostic tool for physicians.
Here’s what the foundation has to say about the project. Ladies and gentleman – start your minds. The race has begun!

On October 4, 2006, the X PRIZE Foundation announced the
launch of its second prize — the Archon X PRIZE for Genomics. The $10 million cash prize has been created to revolutionize the medical world. The launch was attended by visionaries and entrepreneurs from around the globe who recognize the significance and impact that the Archon X PRIZE for Genomics will have on the fields of medicine and research. Scientists know that a map of our genome holds boundless potential, ranging from identifying our susceptibility to disease to discovering cures for cancer. But since 1953, when James Watson and Francis Crick concluded that DNA contained the "stuff of life," only a handful of human genomes have been mapped. In fact, it still takes many months and millions of dollars to sequence a single genome. Understanding our genomes may help delay or even prevent disease. For those suffering from genetic illnesses, personal genetic information can determine which medicines will drive their disease into remission without negative side-effects. The Archon X PRIZE for Genomics challenges scientists and engineers to create better, cheaper and faster ways to sequence genomes. The knowledge gained by compiling and comparing a library of human genomes will create a new era of preventive and personalized medicine — and transform medical care from reactive to proactive. The X PRIZE Foundation and scientists the world over dream of the day when we fully understand the human genetic blueprint — enabling us to make informed decisions about our own health and create a brighter future for generations to come. Please join the X Foundation in our challenge to create a breakthrough in genomics that will benefit all of humanity. Join the Revolution

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h