Skip to main content

What to pray for

Thanks to everyone who has sent well wishes my direction. As always, I’m in a post NIH funk. This happens every time I go to NIH and I’ve talked to others that have had the same experience.

Being at NIH can be stressful. They are so thorough in their exams that you never know what they’re going to find. You never know what kind of news you’re going to get, so most of the time you’re on edge about what news the trip may bring. At the same time, I feel very safe at NIH. It’s the one place on Earth where I have confidence that they know what they’re doing in regard to Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. It’s also one of the few places I go where everyone understands what I’m dealing with, and I don’t have to explain anything to anyone. Everything I say is taken seriously and investigated. It’s such a supportive environment, but then it’s time to leave and you have to return home with everything you learned and take it back to the real world where even the best intentioned people seldom really understand.

I’ve had some well wishes that I do very much appreciate via e-mail. Everyone keeps saying, however, that they’re praying that I’m on the real drug and not the placebo. I feel a little funny about that. It doesn’t seem like the right thing to be praying for because if I’m on the real drug, than someone else is on the placebo.

Instead, my hope is that the recruitment for the drug trial will pick up (I’m only patient 10 in a year’s time and we need a minimum of 40). We have to follow a total of 40 patients for three years before the trial is over and the process for getting FDA approval can begin. In the meantime there are many people who need a treatment, but are not able to get into the trial because of other health problems. The longer it takes, the longer it will be before they will have access to this drug.

Yes, I’m thrilled to get into the trial, but the bigger picture is more important. Whether I’m getting a placebo or not pales in comparison to whether everyone that needs this treatment (assuming it proves to be as successful as it was in the first trials) is able to get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect