Skip to main content

Houston, We've got pills

It’s now official. I’ve got pills! I have no idea what kind of pills they are – but I’ve got them! Yesterday was sort of an emotionally intense day as I waited for the last test results to come back. I was so afraid they’d find some small thing that for some reason would exempt me from the trial.

And when Dr. Gahl and Kevin came to do the final consent and Kevin went away to do the final thing – the point of no return – calling the pharmacy and ordering my pills, it was like waiting for a new chapter of my life to start. I waited and waited – it took most of the afternoon before I could finally go down to the pharmacy and pick up the pills.

As I sat waiting in the pharmacy, I started talking to the other patients in the waiting room. We had all just been approved for various trials of some kind. We were all just beaming from ear to ear as we’d all been given a new chance at life.

Finally my number was called and I was handed a small white sack containing a non-descript white bottle. It doesn’t have any of the markings a normal bottle from your local pharmacy would have. It’s plain, and the label has my name on it, Kevin’s name as the prescriber, his phone number, and a line that says, “Take one capsule (237ml Pirfenidone or placebo) three times daily.” The bottle is only a week’s dose as the amount changes next week.

It seemed like someone should have been there to share the moment with me. I felt kind of silly having this major life moment standing at the elevator.

There has been a lot of water under the bridge for these pills. I’ve given up a future with the man I loved for this chance. There have been years of negotiation and pleading with the drug company, exchanges with NIH’s attorneys and the drug company’s attorneys – so much that I can’t even begin to tell the whole story. I thought of the time that Donna was recovering from being so very ill herself and on a vent, and she had to have a very important conference call with NIH and the drug company – she could barely talk but she pulled it off.

I thought of all the people in the first trial who have made trips to NIH every few months for years upon years to get us to this point, and all the friends I’ve lost for whom the trial didn’t start soon enough. Just looking at these pills makes me choke up inside because so much has gone into making it possible for me to have them, even if I am on a placebo.

A note to people on the listservs with me – I’m not posting much because every time I’m half way through writing a post, Ryan’s computer seems to kick me off. I should be home this evening and back to my own computer, but then again, we’re having bad weather here and I’m wondering if my flight will be cancelled.

More later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect