Skip to main content

A small victory in a big war

Today I had a long talk with Donna, President of the HPS Network, mostly getting caught up on what’s going on, what projects need priority attention etc. In the midst of preparations for fundraisers, budgets, and preparing for an upcoming trip to Washington to speak to Congressional representatives – Donna happened to mention that a family had called in seeking more information. (I never know who these families are – they’re just “a family”).

The thing that made this particular call miraculous was that they’d been referred for HPS testing by their doctor! And, even more amazing, not because their child was dripping head to toe with mysterious bruises, not because there’d been a minor surgical procedure turned scary because of excessive bleeding and not because their child was doubled over in pain from GI problems – they were referred for testing just because their child has albinism! That’s it! The doctor was actually screening for Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome “just to be sure to rule it out.” Wow! Who is this amazing doctor??? Who ever they are, they deserve the gold star prize for the day! I’d love to know where this doctor learned about HPS? And how is it that they “get it” about the need to screen – this never happens!!!

To the family the whole thing might have seemed excessive and silly – but if they’d seen the world from our vantage point, they’d know what a gem of a doctor they’ve found! It’s very likely their child will test negative and this whole thing will be just a little irritating blip in their lives – but for us it was a small victory in a big war. And, heaven forbid, should their child test positive, they’ll be able to avoid some of the traumas so many other HPS families have experienced.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My mom is sitting beside me after reading your blog and she is thanking God for you. Our doctors did finally "get it" but the Lord gave us answers before the medical people caught on. The answers came from you Heather, and from the HPS Network. First there was trauma, then there were tears, then there was hope. God Bless your time with your brother and at NIH.

Love,
The Campbell Family

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...