Skip to main content

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

It’s Friday night! I can’t tell you how glad I am! No, I didn’t get everything finished I had hoped to finish before I left, but now there’s not much I can do about it until after Labor Day. NIH might not be my idea of a vacation (even if we do call it Club Med.), but I’m just glad to have a week away where no one is going to expect me to do anything. Not that I won’t be checking on things from the road, and not that I’m not packing a backpack full of notes for stories I’m working on, and HPS projects that need to be completed – but I don’t HAVE to do anything I don’t feel like doing next week.

This evening it’s raining. I know I’ve blogged about this before, but I LOVE rain. I know most people see cloudy days as gloomy, and perhaps thunderstorms as threatening – but not me! Maybe it’s because on cloudy days I see a bit better. Maybe it’s coming of age in northern Germany where it rains constantly. I don’t know. But, there’s nothing like walking in the rain, feeling the coolness of the air (as rain always seems to cool off the hottest of days) and feeling the drops hit your face. I love the feeling when you’ve been walking in a heavy rain so that your clothes become so soaked, you might as well have been standing in the shower with your clothes on. When you get home, peel off the wet clothes, replace them with something dry and comfortable, and maybe get something warm to drink – there’s just no feeling like it.

This evening I took leave of my senses and all I was supposed to do and went walking in the rain. I had intended to take a mental break at Homers, the coffee house near my house. But then I toyed with whether I should go or not. Homers can be very crowded, and I’m feeling tired and washed out. But, I went, partly because it started raining and I wanted to walk in the rain.

When I got to Homers it actually wasn’t packed as usual. There were two folk singers playing acoustic guitars who were fantastic – so I even bought a CD! As they played lightening flashed through the windows behind them, and the thunder seemed to clap on cue.

And now, I’m sitting here listening to my new CD against the backdrop of the sound of the rain on the windows and the thunder clapping away – and I wish it would storm all night and lull me to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...