Skip to main content

Frustration

This evening I got a call from one of the Network’s regional coordinators and she shared a story that just has my blood boiling. In her outreach work, she’d found a new person who has pretty much all of the indicators for Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (HPS). So, the information about HPS testing was passed along and the new person immediately made an appointment with her doctor and took him the information. The gold standard test for HPS is a blood test, but the blood is sent to the University of Minnesota to be viewed under an electron microscope by an expert. Arrangements have to be made to ensure that someone is in the lab to receive the blood sample when it’s sent. The doctor’s response, “I don’t have time to do this. HPS is rare, and you probably don’t have it.”

I could just scream! I might be irritated, but could at least get my head around his response, if there were no history to back up the suspicion. But that isn’t the case – yet a whole battery of other tests are being done. There isn’t a nurse, or even a secretary that could make a simple phone call?

It’s so hard to get people diagnosed before something traumatic has happened. In this case, we’ve managed to identify someone before something bad happens. Often people who aren’t very sick are afraid to seek HPS testing, but this person is very pro-active, recognizes her story in the literature about HPS and has actually gone to her doctor and sought out the test. I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t do it? I don’t get it! Kudos to the new person, whoever they are, for advocating for herself and I think the test will get done - although probably with a different doctor.


More later! It’s been quite the week in HPSland, and I need some sleep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...