Skip to main content

Betting on a chance

It’s lunch time, and I should be working through lunch. But I can’t concentrate very well anyway. I can’t stop thinking about the drug trial. As we’ve done outreach for this trial, several people have declined the opportunity to participate, and several others have been turned down for various reasons.

A decision like this isn’t a small one. For starters, it’s a huge responsibility and a huge time commitment. Once admitted, failure to stay in the trial and show up for the appointments at NIH would mean that the data would have to reflect you as dead (even if you just dropped out). Thus, if anyone gets into the trial, and then doesn’t comply, it hurts everyone with HPS hoping for this treatment. You’ve really got to be willing to sacrifice for the greater good of everyone with HPS. Second, no one knows what the long term effects of this drug might be. I know several HPS patients in the earlier studies who are doing quite well, but it’s still experimental and thus some of the risks are by definition unknown.

Even so, I keep thinking about the people who turned down the trial and wondering why? I don’t want to come across as judgmental about it, as I’m sure they have their reasons and since dropping out would hurt the rest of us so much – I, for one, don’t want anyone in the trial that isn’t motivated. But I can’t help but keep wondering, why?

If I get to NIH in four weeks and am exempted for some reason, I’ll be distraught. I’m not thrilled about the idea of being in the trial, to be honest, because the personal price is high. I’ll have to use my vacation time to go – so no holidays for the next three yeas at least. I’ll likely have to cut down my travels to medical meetings, which I actually enjoy as a weird sort of therapy.

But, it’s a chance. I am so thankful to at least have a chance. How could anyone with a fatal disorder turn down a chance? So what if this drug causes cancer in 30 years. Without the chance, odds are I’ll be lucky to see 40. A chance adds an element of uncertainty to the future. I used to be the sort of person that wanted to know everything, and I guess I still am, but I’m learning that an element of the unknown isn’t always so bad. It makes optimism feel grounded in something besides desperation or ignorance. It makes it seem to have real feasibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect