Skip to main content

The Kevin Report July 17-19

I haven't had time to write these out, so I'm catching up.

The Kevin Report July 17

Breathing: so/so – Kevin, it’s damned hot here in Kansas! Add to it a lot of humidity, and well, it’s messing with my breathing. I’m pretty okay as long as I stay inside, but when I try to do anything physical, like laundry, or working out on the Gazelle, I’m huffing and puffing more than ordinary.
Meds: Took them except the flonaise, which I’m avoiding temporarily because of nose bleeds.
Diet: Not good – one bagel (worked catered breakfast because of a big meeting) one tacoesque creation from the taco bar they had catered for the meeting at work, one diet coke, one sprite, two bottles water, one glass of very good white wine at the dinner meeting with all the consultants at Lidia’s, one plate pasta sampler, one piece orange chocolate cake, and I have no idea how many glasses of water because the waiter kept refilling it. It was a lot over the course of almost four hours. I was really feeling dehydrated. OMG – that little nutritionist at NIH would have a COW!

The Kevin Report: July 18
Breathing: not perfect, but better. It’s hot, but at least there’s a breeze moving the air.
Meds: took everything but flonaise
Other developments: a bit of joint pain in my ankles and wrists, but not bad. Also feel bloated, and it isn’t the season, if you get my drift. (probably all the crap I ate yesterday!)
Diet: one muffin (I baked it and it wasn’t a bad one calorie wise), one bottle green tea, one salad with tuna, three bottles of water, half a Mexican chicken wrap, some chips and guacamole, one bottle diet Pepsi, four more glasses of water and another ice tea.

The Kevin Report: July 19, 2006
Breathing: pretty crappy (it was a red alert ozone day with temp. of 102 and heat index of 113)
Meds: took them, except flonaise
Other developments – broke out in hives after waiting for the bus for a half hour in 101 degree heat
Diet: another bad day (it’s because I need to go to the grocery, and it’s too hot to walk, so I’m eating what’s around instead of what I should eat.) one egg, cheese and sausage sandwich, one small latte, two diet cokes, one salad with chicken on it, the other half of the Mexican chicken wrap dipped in salsa, two glasses water, and I’m going to Homers tonight, so I’ll probably have a latte.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect