Skip to main content

The wait begins

I finally heard from the University of Kansas Medical Center pulmonary lab, and I’m having my pulmonary function tests on July 7th. Pulmonary function tests, as medical tests go, aren’t bad. All you have to do is breathe into a big tube. The hardest part of the test is getting your lips to fit around the mouth piece and keeping the nose clip on. But, these are the tests that cause me the most anxiety.

They are the biggest predictor of how my lungs are doing, and how quickly they may be going downhill. This time I’m not sure if it’s possible to get really good news.

While my FVC was still in the normal range a year ago (very good news), several of the secondary scores weren’t so hot. These are early predictors of pulmonary fibrosis. The rate of the development of fibrosis varies greatly in Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. Some people seem to have a very rapid development, while for others the process is very slow and happens over many years. You never know.

I’m very much on the edge for being eligible for our clinical trial at the National Institutes of Health. As a result, I’m not sure what to hope for next Friday.

If my numbers fall, it means I’ve got a shot at getting in the trial, and thus a 2/3 shot at getting a drug that clearly slows the development of the fibrosis. But, if I’m doing slightly better, or even the same, then I’m not eligible for the trial. That would be good news because it would mean my disease hasn’t progressed. At the same time, I’m at a prime age to start to see some advancement. It could be another five years before this drug is on the market. I could go from perfectly fine, to seeking a transplant, very easily in five years. Or, I could be completely fine for five years. It seems like there’s no perfect solution.

I know that God has a plan, and I just need to show up, puff, and accept whatever the result is as good news. But, my brain gets in the way of such perfection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect