Skip to main content

Meet Kevin. Kevin takes more ribbing and abuse from we HPS'ers and he does it with complete tolerance and grace. We LOVE to tease Kevin, partly because he can be so serious sometimes, and partly because we get such a kick out of "the look." You can see "the look" in these photos. You can sort of picture the photo caption being, "OMG, I can't believe I"m dealing with these crazy albino people!" HA! Kevin would never in a million years actually say that!

The first picture is from Sheena's recent visit. As I said, Kevin can be very serious (as he should be) and apparently he was telling her some things, and she whipped out her camera and got him!

The second photo has a bit o
f a story behind it. A few years ago at the HPS conference Kevin was hanging out in the hotel bar with a bunch of us. Kevin's willingness to share a beer with the HPS'ers and come and hang out in the bar goes miles towards people trusting him. I'm sure no one at NIH appreciates the value of such actions, but I can tell you that medical folks willing to be human in front of patients goes a long way - especially in a group with a culture of mistrust of medical professionals. Anyway, the Heniken Beer Girls were at the bar that night.

Kevin had a few, and the girls gave him several Hawaiian flower necklaces. Everyone started joking with Kevin that he'd gotten "fill in the blank - this is a family blog!" I got a picture of Kevin decked out in all his glory with a beer.

The next year when Karen and I went to NIH, she brought him a present, pictured here. Another necklace for Kevin! We took the picture I had, and put it on our bedside computers trying to get a rise out of Kevin when he came in to see us. I don't think he was amused. He acted like he didn't even see it. So, of course, getting no satisfaction of out that, we had to dream up other practical jokes to torture Mr. Kevin.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Heather,

Well you probably don't remember me but we went to school together back in Osterholz. I have found your blog and am very interested in reading about it an finding out more about your disease. I hope you are doing ok and I still remember you as the girl with the most wonderful skill as an artist. Take care and write if you like.

Jennifer Carmack (Mills in High School) sweetlips73@excite.com
Oh yes! I remember you! It's so good to hear from someone else from Osterholz! Man, talk about a blast from the past!

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect