Skip to main content

God Bless Interns!

My little personal corner of hell, i.e. work, has just gotten much happier with the arrival of a summer intern. God bless interns! I can’t even begin to tell you what a difference it has made in just a week’s time. I actually worked a 40-hour week this week, occasionally made it to the gym, ate actual healthy home-cooked food and as soon as I get the bathroom clean, my house is reasonably in order. Imagine that!

It’s almost a normal life!

Our intern had an awesome first week. She learns fast. She needs very little supervision. She’s eager to do anything you ask. She doesn’t complain. She’s organized and efficient. I’m in heaven!

She’s been able to do a lot of the things that just bog me down. For example, as much as I love daily news, it isn’t always terribly compatible with putting out a magazine. No matter what stage of production we’re in, I spend half my day running down news briefs. While our intern doesn’t know the industry, and doesn’t have the contacts to figure out what’s news that day, I am able to find something and hand it off to her with a little guidance on what to ask etc. and suddenly I’ve gained back half my day!

She also did our People page, which is another irritating task that sucks away my time. There’s nothing to it – basically so-and-so has joined such-an-such a company and will be doing such-and-such. But, each entry must have a color photo, phone number and e-mail address (our readers like to network) – and that takes, believe it or not, an average of three phone calls per entry. We usually get 15 to 20 on a page.

Perhaps ironically, our intern is hearing impaired. I’m worried she thinks she’s been stuck with EXPO because I’m the “disabled employee” but actually that had nothing to do with it. We’re really the ones that needed her most in the company, so we got the intern slot. As she’s asking me questions about job hunting etc. there’s a part of me that would love to send our next issue to every professor or potential employer that ever gave me hell about being visually impaired and wanting to be in journalism. The majority of our next issue will have been produced by people with disabilities – and it isn’t even a disability-related publication. Take that!

Comments

Whitey said…
Hey! God can make life easier when you ask, and look what you got. I'm glad you are actually getting to enjoy life and get stuff done.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect