Skip to main content

A call from Kevin

Today I got a call from Kevin O’Brien, our nurse practitioner at NIH that looks out for all the patients with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. He was calling to find out how I’d been and talk about when to bring me back to the NIH next. Kevin had heard I’d been coughing a lot from other HPS patients. I told him that back in April. Of course, now that he’s asking about it, I’m not coughing as much.

“How do you feel? How’s your breathing?” Kevin asked. Seems like a reasonable question, but I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Kevin,” I said, “You know every time I come back to the NIH I’m convinced I’m having more trouble breathing, and every time there’s been little if any change of my FVC. You’re asking me?”

Of course I’m worried. Every time I have a hacking fit, and then can’t catch my breath afterwards for sometimes 10 minutes, I have visions of these little macrophages in my lungs, all fired up and foamy. Every time I get a cold I wonder what’s brewing in there.

“I’m a hypochondriac about my lungs Kevin,” I told him.

“You’ve got good reason to be,” he answered, which did make me feel better. It made me feel perhaps a little less mental about the whole thing. I never know how much to complain, and how much not to complain. I hear the words of those close to me in my head - “drama queen” – and weigh them against everything I’ve witnessed about HPS during these past four years.

The truth is sometimes it’s hard for those of us with chronic illnesses to judge just how sick we are, especially if the changes are gradual.

I remember the day I was admitted to the hospital for my colon all those years ago, my hemoglobin was six. It’s supposed to be 12. It was so low they wouldn’t even let me ride in a wheelchair from the doctor’s office across to the hospital to be admitted. They sent for a gurney and made me lay down. That morning I’d taken a midterm exam (which I aced), did my little campus job of tutoring football players and babysat a two-year-old for one of my professors. I had absolutely no idea that at any moment I could have passed out. I had been sick for a year and a half, and I was used to it. I just thought I felt tired.

We agreed we needed some objective evidence to determine just how big a hurry I should be in to make another NIH trip. I’m calling my doctor tomorrow to get a referral for a pulmonary work-up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect