Skip to main content

Cheesecake Factory beware; HPS is in the house, and on the loose

This is a photo taken at the 2006 Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Family Conference. As you can see, we were having a good time!

Tomorrow night I’m missing one of the events of the year. It’s killing me because I want to be there so bad. I’ll probably interrupt the festivities a dozen times on my mobile phone, just to feel like I’m not missing out on too much.

This week a number of people from the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome listserv. are at the National Institutes of Health at the same time. So, a plan has been underway since March for these HPS’ers, as well as several Washington-area locals, to meet up for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I can assure you a very good time will be had by all.

I warned Kevin, our nurse practitioner, to just leave a standing order for the antacids or the nurses’ station would probably be pestering him all night. HA! Actually I tried to get in on the action by offering myself up for more poking and prodding. I asked Kevin if, perhaps, there wasn’t some sort of sample someone in the lab needed – maybe more lung fluid, or perhaps more skin samples? Come on Kevin, I cajoled, can’t I interest you in some blood, or maybe some intestine samples? I really want to go to this party! Kevin took it all in fun and agreed to supply the necessary passes so everyone could break out of the hospital for a night.

I am sure that this is true of all illnesses, especially ultra rare ones, but there’s a bond that many of us with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome share that is so close and so liberating. I think it’s especially true for those of us that have had any degree of medical trauma as a result of our HPS.

Don’t misunderstand. This dinner isn’t about HPS really. It’s about spending time with the few people on Earth to whom you don’t have to explain anything. It’s an unspoken understanding.

When we’re at an HPS conference, it isn’t as though we’re sitting around in the hotel bar, or at dinner, waxing on about Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. Nope – instead we’re usually laughing, dancing, teasing each other and letting our hair down. I’ve had several people tell me that they feel the most “free” at the HPS conference. I keep trying to figure out why that is – and I think maybe I’ve got it.

Even if not a single word is spoken about HPS, there’s nothing that one has to hide in order to relate to everyone else. Take my little lunch outing from work the other day. In order to have a conversation with a person I barely know, I’ve got to conceal this whole huge thing about my life. I can’t explain how I spend my evenings, or what I’m doing with myself.

For most people HPS isn’t quite the social issue it is for me because either their health isn’t yet much impacted, or because they aren’t spending so much time on it – but when HPS’ers get together – it isn’t an issue for anyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h