Skip to main content

Happy Easter

Happy Easter!

This will be a quickie folks!

I felt great today! And not just good either, but actually great! Trouble is on these sorts of days I have a hard time focusing on what I need to do because I’ve got so many things to catch up on – so I tend to bounce from task to task and then, at the end of the day, there’s no real sense of accomplishment.

But, hey, I feel great!

I made it to church this morning, even though I did have a pretty sleepless night because my joints were hurting. They woke me up about 3:00 a.m., but I didn’t want to take anything because I was determined to make it to church on Easter of all days. Tylenol does nothing for my joint pain, and the stronger stuff (which I almost never take) makes me sleepy. I wasn’t going to risk sleeping through my alarm – again!

After the service I went downstairs, but no one was there. I’m not sure if something else was planned, if I was just too fast, or if everyone just had family plans after church. Quite often I’m sort of out of the loop about what’s going on. It’s mostly my own fault. A newsletter arrives once a month and I typically read it when it appears. But, I never seem to make it to putting the key dates in my Outlook. And while there’s a Web site, the online calendar is usually an iffy source. Being there is the best way to know what’s going on. It isn’t a plug and play kind of place – and since I haven’t been around much the last month, I’m out of it.

No matter. I was planning to meet Tina and Amir for lunch anyway. We had a blast! Since I’ve been such a hermit lately, I really, really, needed to do something social like that. We went to the Macaroni Grill, a nice place, but they still put butcher paper on the table and give you crayons. So, Amir wrote all of our names in Arabic. I, of course, didn’t think about the fact that he was sitting on the other side of the table and thus his writing was upside down to me. So, I proceeded to memorize the shapes and write them. I pretty much had it down before he noticed me mimicking his writing. “You’re writing it backwards!” he said. I never did get the hang of it right side up. So, now I can write my name in Arabic, only it’s upside down. I probably couldn’t write my name in English upside down. HA!

Apparently at the Mass they went to that morning, there was some song about the Jews escaping Egypt and the Egyptian troops sent after them pretty much getting toasted. “Always picking on Egyptians,” Amir says. Yeah Amir, it’s all about those Egyptians – definitely an Egyptian thing. HA! We teased back and forth, and laughed and laughed!

Once home all that wonderful, yet heavy, Italian food coupled with my lousy night of sleep seemed to mix together and I fell asleep while folding laundry. I woke up and worked on the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Newsletter a bit.

I tried to work on the article I’m supposed to be writing about all the things my mom did to make me “such an independent adult.” It isn’t that I don’t have plenty to write about – just having a hard time getting into the groove on that one. Don’t get me wrong. It isn’t that she wasn’t a great advocate while we were in school – yet probably the biggest thing that happened to make Ryan and I so independent was the fact that our parents got divorced and my mom was a single parent for most of our childhoods. She couldn’t wait on us hand and foot if she’d wanted to – but getting a divorce is hardly a tip one wants to pass on to new parents of blind children.

See what feeling great does to me? HA! All I could think about were all the other things I need to do – like clean the bathroom, clean out the fridge, trim the ivy on the back porch etc.

Now, I’ve got to get to bed so I can get up early for work. To say that I don’t want to go would be an understatement. Oh how I’d love to blog about that. Lets just say there’s a lot of uncertainty in my workplace right now. My co-workers are all married and healthy. To them the worst case scenario is a financial inconvenience.

I, on the other hand, belong to a minority group with a 70 percent unemployment rate and I’ve got health issues into the bargain. The anxiety and bitterness I’m feeling about work is really starting to take its toll on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h