Skip to main content

George, come walk in my shoes

Note: The following blog entry, I want to stress, is my personal opinion. It's a blog, so it should go without saying, but just wanted to point that out in case anyone should get confused.

A few days ago I was flipping through the radio dial and stumbled on a news report about our fearless leader, President Bush, on the stump for his scheme to save us from our medical bills – health savings accounts.

Brilliant!

I’ve just been so busy on a shopping spree - buying up all the Serevent, Abuterol, Singular, Flonase, DDAVP, ostomy supplies and CPAP masks I can find - that it never occurred to me if I were just a tad more frugal and saved more I might be better able manage my medical bills.

Come on George, are you kidding me?

I’m not saying that health savings accounts might not be a good idea, in the context of a much, much, much more comprehensive plan to deal with America’s health care problems. I’m just saying that for the vast number of us being eaten alive by medical bills, the idea of medical savings accounts being touted as a major solution to our problems is down right insulting.

If you’re well and wealthy, it’s a great plan. Tuck a bit away for a rainy day. But, it fails to address the real problems in American health care. People who can afford to save money are not the ones with the critical problem today. It’s the 46 million Americans going without health insurance, usually because they can’t afford it. It’s the countless more who are underinsured because they’re stretched paying for the coverage they do have. It’s the many, many, chronically ill people who insurance companies don’t want to cover at an affordable rate, yet who are functioning just well enough to stay above the guidelines that would make them eligible for state and federal assistance programs. George, is this it? This is the best you can do?

What about those of us who have had chronic health problems most of our adult working life? I’d be in a completely different financial world if I’d been able to invest the minimum $200 a month I’ve spent on medical bills since having my ostomy surgery 13 years ago. (And many months the bills have far exceeded that, even with good insurance.) Oh George, if only I could just save this money!

I know health care is a complicated subject with no easy solutions or quick fixes. What continues to dumbfound me is that more Americans aren’t so appalled by the state of things that they demand change.

I know many people, with and without Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, who regularly do without medicines they need. I know many people with HPS who have complex medical issues, but who are uninsured and thus only have access to free clinics with rotating doctors. There’s no continuity of care that could, in the long run, improve their health and lessen their overall medical costs – whoever is paying the bills. I know many people who are sicker than they could be because the treatments that actually work the best aren’t available to those without private corporate insurance. I know several people with HPS who, when thinking of their long term future, won’t consider options such as lung transplantation for fear of the financial strain it would place on their families.

A year ago the nation was captivated by the story of Terry Schiavo. Thousands left their homes and jobs to come to Florida and rally to save Terry. They protested for weeks. They flooded Congress with messages on both sides of the debate. The airwaves were full of banter on both sides. It was a mobilization of people power that was nothing short of a miracle.

But where’s the miracle now? Where are all the people who were willing to sacrifice so much for the life of one woman (and justly so in my opinion)? Where’s the outrage as thousands of other Americans die slowly from systemic neglect? Where’s the protests? Where’s the shock and horror? Where’s the march on Capitol Hill? How is it that these same activists, so committed to “a culture of life” can remain so silent as states are forced to slash people from Medicaid?

I’m lucky right now. I’ve got great insurance. But, I also sink several hundred dollars a month into co-pays for medicines, medical supplies and doctor visits. I’m not able to save much. So, no matter how hard I work, one day I’m likely to find myself unemployed and likely uninsured. It’s a reality that’s one corporate downsizing, or one medical crisis away from reality.


I’m terrified of what might happen to me next.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It wasn't that long ago that I was medically uninsured. It is scary, very scary. You would be surprised to see the demographics of Americans who are uninsured AND underinsured. It is absolutely shameful that in this nation of privilege, that a sincere effort has not been made by our leaders to do something about this situation. I share your rage Heather and also wonder why we as the citizens of this great nation have not been able to effect change on such a crucial issue. But it is not just our leadership that we need to contend with; it is also the pharmaceutical companies and even doctor's organizations themselves. Or, are they just a scapegoat used by our leadership? Who knows the real truth? I agree that HSAs really only help people who have money to save. It is truly just a drop in the bucket when it comes to seriously addressing medical costs. Not quite a joke of a program, but really close.

By the way...I am still paying the medical bills from when I broke my ankle, while uninsured, four years ago.

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h