Skip to main content

To tell, or not to tell

It seems as though I should start this blog with some sort of beginning, but what’s the beginning? In college I had a column in the newspaper. It was the most fun I’ve ever had writing anything. I simply wrote about whatever was bugging me that week – and there was never a shortage of material. My picture ran with the column, and being a kind of Amazon blonde woman with a long white cane – I tended to be memorable. People would sit next to me on the bus, or in the student union, and talk to me as if they knew me. Having difficulty recognizing people I don’t know very, very well, I’d play along for fear it was someone who would be offended that I didn’t recognize them. Often it was well into the conversation before I realized I was off the hook – I didn’t know them at all. They just happened to read my column.

The greatest compliment I ever had as a writer was one night when I overheard two drunk girls arguing about a column I’d written about Hillary Clinton at a bar at 1:00 a.m. I consider it the greatest compliment because not only had they read the column, (to this day for some strange reason it surprises me when readers contact me saying, ‘I read such and such….’) but they’d remembered it long enough to recall it while drunk in a bar at 1:00 a.m.

So, that’s the approach I plan to take here – to write about what ever is bugging me at the time – sometimes Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (HPS) related, and sometimes not.

Right now, however, it’s HPS related.

One of my HPS friends called me a few days ago upset because someone from her church had advised her to quit talking about her HPS because it scared people. This supposed friend had all kinds of other advice to offer – which could provide blog topics for months – but I’ll start with that one.

I took it personally because I know there are probably people around me who think the same thing, but so far have been too polite to say so. While I can appreciate that often people may not know what to say, if I’m honest, I have little sympathy for them.

I’m fighting for my life. I’m fighting for my brother’s life. I’m fighting for the lives of my many friends who have HPS. If I have to shout my story from the rooftops, I’ll do it. I need help, and how am I going to find it if I don’t shout as loud as I can whenever I have a chance? If that means that a few people are lost for words for a few minutes, if it means they feel awkward – it seems a small price to pay. I would hope that if they’re truly my friends, those moments of awkwardness would seem a small price to pay to support me along the way. But, if it’s too much to handle, then get out of the way. I need a cure, and I don’t have time for the politeness that would dictate I not trouble anyone with my problems.

There are other reasons for being public about HPS. Although I’m still quite healthy, HPS does affect my life in thousands of little ways every day. Sometimes it’s missing listening to a band at the local coffee house because I’m busy working on an HPS fundraiser. Sometimes it’s dashing out of work with no explanation (except to my boss) because my ostomy has sprung a leak. Sometimes it’s missing church because after a day’s work I’m just too exhausted to stay awake. Sometimes it’s missing a holiday with family because I’ve used up all my leave time to go to the National Institutes of Health and participate in research. What would people think if they didn’t understand what’s behind some of the things I do? They’d probably think I was a lazy, unreliable, spacey blonde!

Of course, no matter how public I may be, I’m very aware that there are some people who will never get it. They’re not capable of stepping outside their own experience long enough to look beyond the surface of things. You just can’t please everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h