Skip to main content

Where has Star Trek gone?

With everything truly important on my list of things I need to blog about, we’re going with a really important one today – Star Trek!

I don’t think most people would make me for a trekkie, but I’ve always loved it. In general, I’m not a huge SciFi person, but I loved/love Star Trek because of its soul. It isn’t just space battles and space monsters. It isn’t just good vs evil. Star Trek used its universe to say things that, in our universe, might be sensitive. It allowed/allows us to look at ourselves in the safety of another place and time. In such a polarized environment, we could use a little more of that.

A few months ago I finally ditched my Netflix subscription and added CBS All Access to my Amazon Prime account. (Might be better named CBS Some Access, but that’s for another blog.) I was dying to see Discovery, the new Star Trek, but hadn’t signed up for CBS because my budget is tight. Even a few extra dollars can matter. But, I found I was watching a few series on Netflix, and then couldn’t really find anything else there I hadn’t already seen or that interested me. So, I finally made the leap.

Oh Star Trek, I miss you! I actually did like Star Trek Discovery, once I decided to put aside everything I think makes the Star Trek brand different and just decided to be along for the ride. It’s an interesting story, but it isn’t the Star Trek I love. The social commentary, when there, seemed pretty thin. I liked the characters, but I didn’t love them.

They are the kind of characters you’d be happy to work with, but you wouldn’t want to spend a laid back weekend with them.

It may sound silly, but one of the things I always liked about Star Trek characters is that no matter how foreign they were designed to be, you still felt like they were people you’d like to get to know better. You would love to meet them for drink in 10-Forward or Quarks and just talk.

Evidently there is another new series coming out involving my favorite captain – Captain Picard! Oh how I had a crush on Picard!!!! That voice just melts me!

I’ve watched the old series over and over and over again (maybe not so much the one from the 1960s or the animated version). I’m longing to sink my human teeth back into this universe I loved.

Picard, oh Picard – be still my heart and bring me something with substance and drama – but not so much drama that it goes beyond believability (as believable as anything imaginary could be.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...