Skip to main content

Screening of RARE held at Association of Clinical Research Professionals meeting

A screening of RARE was held at the annual meeting of the Association for Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP) in April. The screening was held at a general session and was attended by more than a thousand people who work with clinical trials in various ways.

After the screening Donna and Ashley Appell spoke to the audience about their experience living with HPS. They also answered a wide range of questions from the audience.

Since the event the Network has received several media enquiries and generous donations.

You can see Donna and Ashley answering questions from the audience at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cArkSSGBVLY&feature=youtu.be

On a personal note, I have to say one of the more enjoyable things I've ever done for HPS outreach was participating in the documentary, and then attending screenings as it came out. 

It has always been so interesting to hear the questions people have about the film, about HPS, about clinical trials etc. after they have seen the film. 

I wish there was some way to do a follow up - RARE - the story continued.....but somehow I doubt that is possible. Making documentaries is very time consuming and expensive. I am just so grateful to the Stanford School of Medicine Center for Bioethics and Film for making it possible to have RARE at all. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...