Skip to main content

Back to School for HPSers

It's that time of year again. The summer is almost over and it's almost time to start back to school. 

I was a kid with HPS so long ago. (And, I didn't know I had HPS when I was a kid - scary thought!) I"m sure a lot has changed. 

One thing I'm sure hasn't changed is the need to make sure things are ready to go at the start of the school year. And, if they're not, that someone is working on the issue. 

One problem I always had was getting my large print or tape text books ON TIME! I don't think that ever happened, even once, after about fifth grade. I'd spend weeks suffering away with regular sized fonts and much eye strain. 

Now, with technology so much a part of education, I suspect parents also need to make sure the appropriate technology is in place to participate, read the board etc. 

Fran Moore is a board member of the HPS Network. She will be on the Aug. 13th English-speaking HPS Parent call. It's a great chance for parents to talk to someone who knows about anything they should be checking out before school. And, with HPS, it isn't just issues of vision. Is the school nurse up to speed? Do they need an HPS refresher? 

Fran will also be attending the NAPVI Back to School conference. She'll be reporting back to us about it. It will be in the Bronx if any HPS parents want to know more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...