Skip to main content

Not a safe book, but so far, a good one


I got up the nerve to look again for the book by the author I heard on the radio. I have a temporary reprieve. I couldn’t find it as an audio book, at least not yet. 

It’s been a problem lately. Several of the books I want to read are not yet available commercially as audio books. I keep meaning to reinstate myself with the Library of Congress program for blind and print impaired people as they might be available there, but somehow it never gets done. 

I’ve taken to not allowing myself to buy a book unless it’s an audio book these past few years. I can see well enough to read print books (with various magnifying devices) but I find the only time of day I can set aside to read is before bed. It’s the time of day when my eyes are most tired and thus reading with a CCTV or a magnifier is not only awkward, but my eyes are just too tired by then. It is one of the reasons I really do wish I had learned braille as a kid, even if I can also read print. 

So today I treated myself to an early birthday present. I bought the audio book My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. Sotomayor is a Supreme Court justice and she is of Puerto Rican heritage. The book is a memoir. 

One of the blessings of learning I have HPS is that it has opened up a whole new part of my history, my family tree. It has made me curious about everything Puerto Rican as I’ve come to have so many Puerto Rican friends and to visit the island. 

Is it possible that DNA can have a memory as if to be a dream? The logical part of me says of course not. What a silly romantic notion. Yet because of HPS, because of that connection to Puerto Rico through my mother, I’ve discovered this whole other part of my heritage. I wonder if my cousins who do not have HPS have any of that sense of attachment to a place no one in our close family has lived since the early 1900s? 

There must have been someone, somewhere, in that family tree from Puerto Rico who had HPS. They wouldn’t have known it most likely. They most likely had bad vision and sensitivity to light. How did they cope? What was their life like in such a hot and sunny place? Did they have the GI issues I’ve had since my late teens? Did they ever have lung disease? How did they cope before some of the comforts (if not cures) of modern medicine? 

It’s the first night and I got as far as chapter seven. Honestly, if I didn’t have to get up in the morning, I’d keep reading. Sotomayor is a good writer. If I was trying to avoid a book that would make me emotional or even cry, I’ve failed miserably. 

I am surprised at how very open she is about her family history. She’s a wonderful story teller and I relate to so much of what she says so well. 

I can’t write about my own family so openly. I’ve shared a lot of personal things on this blog over the years, but for the most part, that is a subject I’ve left untouched. 

It isn’t that I couldn’t tell some good stories, or emotionally moving stories. Instead, it’s this feeling of protectiveness I have for my family. I might choose to put my life and HPS experience out there – to let a documentary film crew follow me around NIH and ask me lots of questions – but my family has never made that choice. 

As for all of those emotions so close to the surface, yet held at bay, perhaps this book is just a smidge safer than the other one. Perhaps it’s a way to ease into some of those emotions I need to tap into for creativity. 

I know it is common wisdom to “get it all out” – but I’m not convinced that in every situation that is true. My HPS life, and all of the other aspects of my life that have been touched by it, are an ever moving and ever evolving thing. Even if it were possible to purge every hint of negativity, every ounce of sadness or mourning or anger or frustration, they would only be replaced again. It is in our case not an event to bee gotten over, but a continuing thing we all learn to manage in different ways. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I’m h