Skip to main content

What is the Enhanaced Healthcare Proxy?

Below is a video we created at the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome conference. The Enhanced Healthcare Proxy is a project of the HPS Network. Many of us with HPS have a lot of doctors in different places. It's possible to want someone to help you make medical decisions, or help you deal with insurance, or pharmacies etc. but still be completely capable of making your own medical decisions. Yes, you can waivers etc. - but honestly, it's a real pain. There's a need for something between guardianship and a health care proxy that only comes into effect when you've lost the capacity to make decisions. 


In my case, if my support system has to wait until I've lost capacity to be able to talk to my doctors and be informed - it's too late! HPS is complicated sometimes. I take a lot of meds every day. It's too much to come into and be truly informed only when things are bad! 


Often remedies involve legal fees that many in our community simply can't afford. (Thankfully, there's a legal clinic that works with my doctor's office, but that's not common place.) 


So, the HPS Network, (thanks to Donna Appell) has taken up the Enhnaced Healthcare Proxy project. Right now, it's in the New York Assembly. We hope to eventually take it to other states. 


The idea is giving support and care shouldn't be hard - especially if that support and care is wanted. The below video will quickly explain the need. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...