Skip to main content

HPS – It isn’t just a Puerto Rican thing

One of the myths about Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome is that it’s a Puerto Rican disorder, thus, if you’ve got albinism, but you’re not Puerto Rican, you don’t need to worry.

Wrong.

While HPS is one of the most common genetic disorders among people of Puerto Rican ancestry, (and thus people with albinism of Puerto Rican ancestry have a much greater chance of having the HPS type of albinism), it doesn’t just occur in Puerto Ricans.

I’ve blogged many times in the past about the wide diversity of ethnic backgrounds in the HPS community, even if most do have Puerto Rican backgrounds. We have members all over the world.

Today I was going through medical journal articles on HPS from the last year, and it just reminded me that’s a point we should make again.

In the past few months we’ve added two new members of Chinese background. Today I saw a medical paper in a dermatology journal about a study done of 52 people with albinism from China. While most had another type of albinism, one did test positive for HPS type 1.

One of our HPS researchers, Carmelo Carmona, published a paper in the last year documenting cases of HPS from Hispanic people from Cuba, Honduras, Mexico and Venezuela. 

We have organized HPS groups in the UK, India and Japan.

Yes, HPS occurs in all ethnic groups all over the world. It really is something everyone with albinism should at least be aware of. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...