Skip to main content

Little Men

A friend of mine recently said she missed my movie reviews. I miss posting them. I don’t get to watch many movies these days, and when I do I typically don’t have much time afterward to write about it.






Still, there are times when no matter how busy you are, you reach a kind of wall and have to step back to clear your head.






It was in one of those moments I found a little television series I’ve fallen in love with – Little Men. Unfortunately, it seems it only ran two years. I guess no one else was as taken with it as I am, having discovered it 10 years plus after it ran. I don’t even remember ever seeing it on television back then. How could that be?






The series takes place in the 1800s in Concord, Mass. It’s the follow up to the book Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. The girls are all grown up and Jo, recently widowed, is running a school in the big house left to her by her aunt.






I’ve been to the home where Alcott wrote these books. It looks similar to the house, only much smaller.






The series is sort of in the vein of “Little House on the Prairie”, another series I loved (both books and TV shows). Every episode is entertaining, has a kind of lesson to it, and you can watch it with anyone in the room and not worry about something that might suddenly appear on the screen.






Season 1 and 2 are available as instant plays on Netflix.


I’m giving it a five out of five spoons!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...