Skip to main content

Scholarship season

It’s that time of year. It’s the time of year when a lot of scholarship applications are coming due.

For those anxious to know who this year’s winner of the Kirshner Scholarship awarded annually to someone with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome or their children, I don’t yet know who the winner is – but I’ll post it when I know it’s been cleared by the Network.

In the meantime, the subject of how hard it is to pay for school has come up on the HPS adults listserv. In this economy, I’m sure it isn’t easier than when I was in school! I feel for today’s students. It’s the rare exception that graduates and doesn’t start life straddled with debt.

But, in my history I’ve also served on scholarship award committees and it’s amazing to me how few people sometimes apply. I think it’s hard to find the scholarship opportunities out there and people give up trying. Or, they think if they don’t have straight A’s there’s no point.

I’m here to tell you – there’s money out there going unclaimed.

To many, this might sound obvious – but if you’re legally blind the first place to start is your state’s commission for the blind. It can’t hurt and often there are resources there to help.

Next, invest some time at your public library and do the shoe leather work no one else is willing to do. Get a librarian to help you if you need it – they will.

Make a list of every special interest you might meet.

There are scholarships for those that are legally blind, for those that have Crohn’s or colitis, or those that have bleeding disorders etc. There are scholarships out there from churches, church denominations, from unions for member kids, corporations, the children of vets. etc.

I just spent two seconds goodsearching and found this link of scholarships for those with a Hispanic background. They might be old – I don’t know. The point is – it’s out there. Put your hat in and go get it.

http://www.uga.edu/hispanicproject/scholarships.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for...

The blog is back, I hope

  What started as a way to share news about HPS and what it is like to live with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome has fallen apart badly! There are a lot of reasons for this. Some are related to health. Some are related to time. And some are related to mental health. Finally, the last obstacle was technical. I lost access to my blog. Every time I started to work on regaining access, something interrupted the process and I’d have to start all over again. Before you say it, I know. A blog is so old school. Haven’t you heard of a vlog Heather? Or maybe TikTok? I know my limits. I have a great face for radio. I’m not particularly eager to film myself. When I do, I feel I need to spend extra time putting on makeup or fixing my hair. Yet, often when I have the time to do something like this, it is early in the morning or late at night. I don’t want to “get ready.” I’m having a hard enough time squeezing this in without staging myself. Grin. I’m trying to start with small goals. Right now, I...